Anhedonia review by The Graduate

• Released: Apr 10, 2007
The Graduate: Anhedonia

Anhedonia is The Graduate's Freshman album and really creates a distinct voice for who The Graduate is. They make one point in every song on this album, their sound is BIG. The songs on this album follow a dynamic style throughout with huge sounds and sing along pop-ish vocals. The entire album, you feel like singing along, whether you know the lyrics or not. The songs are all well orchestrated, though their guitarist seems to love the dotted eighth delay setting on his pedal. You hear it loud and pronounced in nearly every song, though adds to their distinct sound. With the exception of the song 'I Survived', every song on this album will be easily identified as The Graduate.

Typical lyrics, if you're looking for anything in depth and overly poetic, look elsewhere. They could be compared to you usual rock/pop bands. Most are based on romantic encounters, some are discussing other things. But most on relationships. Like Anhedonia, Sit & Sink, Surround Yourself and Better Company. Just to name a few. Though the vocals portray the lyrics in a way that many songs do, you want to sing them, even if you don't understand what the lyrics mean. With Matt Kennedy doing vocals with his wide range of a voice, they still draw you in due to his 'big' vocals. The lyrics are well enough thought out to not be repetitive or dull, but still are typical and based on the same thing throughout the album.

I stumbled upon The Graduate at the Warped Tour in 07 and found them to be one of the few good bands at the event. When I walked in the room, they were playing 'Interlude', which made me double-take. Interlude is the only instrumental on the album (with exception to a few 'ooohs' and 'aahs' in the background) and shows the dynamics this band can fulfill. Either way, I bought the album and began listening to it, seeing how not every song on the album was quite as impressive as Interlude, though many were close. Along with Interlude, the songs Anhedonia, Sit & Sink and Doppelganger were the most impressive songs on the album. I love the fact that this album drags you in immediately and makes you want to listen, another thing is that it doesn't make you lose interest after listening too much like some albums do. The musicianship in here is good, though nothing astonishing. A downfall to this album is the guitar repeating of that dotted eighth guitar pattern, it gets kinda annoying sometimes and the constantly romanticized lyrics. If I were to lose this album, I would buy it again, though I wouldn't bend over backwards or look too hard if I couldn't find it easily.

briggssteel
    salmarnirecho : BassNewbie wrote: Sit and sink sounds like they took the riff from the fall of troy and one of there titles are the name of a fall of troy cd... Well, that effect maybe the same in both songs, but you'll find that it's a recurring effect throughout The Graduate CD, while Fall of Troy only uses it in that one song really. And then Doppelganger is an actual word, not just a title of the Fall of Troy CD. just saying, didn't know if you knew or not. It's just a delay effect. Probably the most popular effect around besides of course distortion and reverb. Both bands use it a ton. Why not though, it always sounds great.
    briggssteel
    BassNewbie wrote: Sit and sink sounds like they took the riff from the fall of troy and one of there titles are the name of a fall of troy cd... Well, that effect maybe the same in both songs, but you'll find that it's a recurring effect throughout The Graduate CD, while Fall of Troy only uses it in that one song really. And then Doppelganger is an actual word, not just a title of the Fall of Troy CD. just saying, didn't know if you knew or not. It's just a delay effect. Probably boss delay. It's like the most popular effect besides distortion or reverb. Both bands use it a ton along with plenty of other bands. It's a sweet effect though so why not?