rEVOLVEr Review

7.7
 8.3
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
rEVOLVEr Reviewed by: Cheeseman Jay, on july 13, 2010

Sound: If you are at all partial to death metal, here's a name you should know. Sweden's At The Gates were a little known band in the run up to their 1996 effort, "Slaughter of the Soul." "Slaughter of the Soul" proved to be their most commercially and critically successful album and was widely hailed as a bench mark in death metal. After that album, the band decided not to try and emulate the success of their album and split up. Drummer Adrian Erlandsson, bassist Jonas Bjrler and guitarist Anders Bjrler decided to stay together and formed The Haunted. The Haunted don't really sound anything at all like At The Gates so if you're looking for a follow up to "Slaughter of the Soul," you may be disappointed. Not likely though. Whereas this album isn't anything like "Slaughter of the Soul," it has developed it's own sound and one that I think is pretty unique (correct me if I'm wrong). It all sounds very modern, if you get me. The progression from At The Gates to The Haunted is obvious. The riffs are more melodic and I would stick my neck out and say more memorable. The drums aren't as constantly thrashy as they were but that, in my mind, is a positive as it suits the music more. The lyrics are easier to hear and the singer is quite distinctive. It is almost inevitable that it will be drawn up against At The Gate's finest but I think this album certainly has enough going for it to challenge it's forerunner. Stand out songs for me are "All Against All," "No Compromise" and "Nothing's Right." // 8

Lyrics: The singer, Peter Dolving, has a somewhat unique voice. It certainly fits the music and it isn't boring or repetitive. Occasionally he actually sings as well. When he does, he sounds like someone from Texas (you know what I mean). I like him and think that, if it were anyone else, The Haunted wouldn't be as good. However, it won't win any awards. Lyrically, this isn't an amazing album. The lyrics are adequate if not spellbinding. Again, they suit they music. My favourite linefrom any song on the album is in "All Against All," where he repeatedly screams, "We f--k till it bleeds!" Nice image there. // 7

Overall Impression: It's fresh, it's different, it's a great album overall. I'm not bored of it and I've had it for a while now. "rEVOLVEr" has been called The Haunted's best work to date and I must say I agree with that statement. It traverses the boundaries of thrash and death metal to make a very tasty hybrid that should draw fans to it like headbanging moths to a flame that is for some reason related to heavy metal. I recommend you that you buy it or at least buy "All Against All." You won't be disappointed, I promise. // 8

Comments