Versus review by The Haunted

• Released: Sep 17, 2008
The Haunted: Versus

This album is not as heavy as revolver or anything before that but that is not necessarily a bad thing. It has the same kind of flow as The Dead Eye. This is the type of album that you have to give a chance and a couple listens before making a decision on it so if you are looking into buying this album then don't be quick to judge it. It still has plenty of catchy riffs that only The Haunted can produce. As a long time fan I think it is a great album.

The singing on this album is even more experimental than that of The Dead Eye. Songs such as Skuld and Iron Mask can cause you to raise an eyebrow. Certainly the vocal style is an acquired taste but I believe the vocalist is quite skilled as shown in this album and others before it. The lyrics are typical The Haunted lyrics, some of them are poetic, some of them are grotesque, and some of them make you want to say "what the hell is this guy talking about?" All considered I like the vocals on this album.

This album is shifting away from the old style of The Haunted in that they are becoming less thrash metal and more experimental, Not to say that they no longer posses thrash qualities because they certainly still do, just not as much as they used to. My favorite songs on this album are Skuld, Trenches, Ceremony and Pieces. Like I said before, if you are a fan of the Dead Eye then you will likely appreciate this album. I think of it as another successful release by The Haunted.