The Black And White Album review by The Hives

• Released: Nov 13, 2007
The Hives: The Black And White Album

I'm a big hives fan so I went and listened to the new album as soon as I could. I was surprised when I heard it the first time cause of how much different it sounded from all of their other stuff. I hated it at first but when they came into town for a concert I gave the black and white album another chance. It started growing on me and now I'm glad that they took a new approach. I'm so tired of bands putting out the same stuff over and over trying to keep the same sound, so it's nice to see that somebody other than the white stripes can change it up every once in awhile without sounding bad. They still have the energy in all of the songs but they aren't as fast-paced. They're still pretty fast, they're just not on as much speed as they were before. There's a lot more bass and drums, and a couple songs like: well alright, try it again, and puppet on a string sound almost like showtunes that you'd hear off broadway. Also I don't know what the hell's up with giddy up! But I like it. Just overall it's definitely a different sounding album than their others and you can tell that it was produced by a guy that normally does rap. it's not bad at all, it's just something that you have to get used to if you've listened to them for a while.

The lyrics are good as always. Howlin pelle sings a little more on this album and screams a little less. The only one I had any problems with was try it again. I liked the guitars on it but, I don't know. The fact that there was like a whole bunch of kids doing like a playground chant in the background kind of ruined it for me. Other than that, and the fact that a couple of them sounded like show tunes, they were great.

It's going to be pretty hard for anyone to complain about the hives just ripping off the stooges and mc5 after listening to this. I thought after I listened to it a couple times that it sounded pretty damn good but I could see where some people might be disappointed. Maybe I'm just too loyal, I don't know. But I would recommend this album to anyone. It still rocks hard and kicks some ass, just in a different way. The songs that stood out most to me were: tick tick boom, you got it all wrong, won't be long, you dress up for armageddon, and bigger hole to fill. If it were lost or stolen I'd probably get it again.