The Black And White Album review by The Hives

• Released: Nov 13, 2007
The Hives: The Black And White Album

This time around the Hives have changed their sound a little with songs such as T.H.E.H.I.V.E.S. and Giddy Up! which actually takes some getting used to, but as for the rest of the tracks, they are very much like the bnad's original sound. I was also worried about the fact that they were producing with Pharell Williams, but the song Well All Right! is actually really good and is probably one of my favorites on the album.

The lyrics in the album are for the most part really good. On Square One Here I Come, the lyrics especially stood out to me and it's also a very catchy tune. Howlin' Pelle also doesn't do as much "howlin" in this album, but overall I think his voice sounds really good. I also like the personality that he gives to the band on songs like Well All Right! by adding his comments every now and again throughout the song.

Overall this album is really good, has some instant classics, Tick Tick Boom, Try It Again, You Got It All... Wrong, and a lot more. I would say that aside from a few of the tracks it compares to some of their best work such as Veni Vidi Vicious. If this album were stolen, I would definitely have to go and buy another copy, or maybe just download the tracks off the web, hehe.

biscuitiis.k
    catchy, I think its their best. the other albums are like...hear one hear them all. I'm not saying they're crap but ya, good band, saw them at paleo
    GuitarManDan15
    This is a great album so much fun. Its weird, funky, riffage and so versitle. I admire the hives for branching out from there normal line of work, so many bands release an album exactly the same as the last one, but i have to say the hives have been rewarded for there bravery and in my opinion produced a truley great versitile album
    GMC
    This album is amazing! Great clean and strong riffs.
    Blash
    I ****ing LOVE this album, possibly the best one all year IMO.
    aesop punk
    As a huge fan of the band, and its admittedly formulaic sound, I believe that the new album is a lot of fun. Having said that, it's missing the blazing tempo and angry tone that I love. They have lost the pure sonic spite and spastic energy. I hope for another "I'm a Wicked One" or "Statecontrol" on the next album.
    Nizzi
    And for the person who said
    Who the hell are The Hives
    , go listen to them
    Nizzi
    I love The Hives!!! They're nothing like my type of music (I like Turisas, Zico Chain, Finntroll, Megadeth, Guns N' Roses, New York Dolls, Slipknot etc etc) but I really like them! I'm off too see them on Saturday!! Their newer stuff isn't as good as their more older and more punk songs, like Main Offender, but I guess its still good. I havn't bought the album yet, but I plan to once I have some money.
    Sanitarium91
    So it's like the beatles' white album mixed with metallicas black album! ...yeah I'm an ***** No, but they're pretty good I guess, don't really personally care for that type of music.
    br4ve
    I really like this bands raw and simple song structure as well as their energy. The new album is sounding good so im happy.
    shyalicia
    I've only heard one song off the new album. Pretty different from the old stuff; so far I like the new sound better. Can't wait to hear more.
    food&liquor
    blaming the meth aye... hehe and yeah this album is actually alright. i dont actually listen to this band much but i didnt mind Tick Tick Boom so i downloaded it (i know, how inhumane) and i actually dont mind it.
    wurzel1981
    1st The hives are awesome!! This album is good,not quite as good as Y.F.N.A. People should look at T-Rex Hives (i can't spell tyrannnourassaaurs) also as its criminally underrated!! Go randy!!
    Dragon Master
    The band is very good. It took me a bit to get into them and why they would tour with Maroon 5 is beyond me, but I think that the Hives are great. In order, the greatest garage bands go in this categorization; 1. The White Stripes (Normally, I'd choose Jet. However, the Stripes started all of this and have managed to gain more hit songs that have revolutionized this genre. It is thanks to the Stripes that we have this great music.) 2. Jet 3. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club 4. The Hives 5. The Vines 6. Brian Jonestown Massacre (I like their music, but I think that they remain in the shadow of the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, because BRMC has a more concrete sound that is actually more revolutionary.) 7. Kings of Leon (I personally think that Aha Shake Heartbreak wasn't really a great album. They're last on the list, because they're alright, but they're an acquired taste.