Tyrannosaurus Hives review by The Hives

• Released: Jul 20, 2004
The Hives: Tyrannosaurus Hives

Stepping away from their typical two guitars playing the same thing with different effects, the Hives have started using synthesizers. While sounding great most of the time, "Diabolic Scheme," easily the worst song on the album, shows how awful the Hives can sound if they try. Other than that, the album is strong with good tracks like "No Pun Intended," "See Through Head," "B Is For Brutus," and "Dead Quote Olympics."

Pelle Almqvist has a horrible singing voice compared to singers like Chris Cornell or Davey Havok, but his vocals match the Hives' style of music perfectly, raw and untamed. His lyrics are more or less something that feeds off the music to keep it from being repetetive, but his lyrics shine occasionally, like in "See Through Head" or "B Is For Brutus." Unfortunately for the rest of the songs, the lyrics get repetetive, like in "Two-Timing Touch and Broken Bones" and "Walk Idiot Walk."

I thought that Veni Vedi Vicious was much better than this for a long time, but it turns out it isn't. The Hives have found a better sound for themselves, and will probably continue to evolve it into something better each album. Definetely a good purchase, although buy Barely Legal and Veni Vedi Vicious first. Working backwards wouldn't show you the Hives at their best. If this album was stolen from me, I'd go and beat him out of whoever stole it, because then I wouldn't have anything to dance to in my car.

schwedengitarre
    very cool record especially b is for brutus, diabolic sheme, walk idiot walk and no pun intended !!!HIVES!!!
    Trip272
    Yes this is an amazing record. I can't wait for their new one entitled "The world's first perfect record"
    FozzyMcQueen
    if anyone stole a cd from me...i would only half care, since it'd be on my hard drive by then.
    chriskent4687
    m1chael w0rkman
    chriskent4687 wrote: lol this is a joke, the album is great but the people who review it are really stupid. the second guy who reviewed it says there really origional and well thought out lyrics, but then gives them a 0!! and then the unregistered guy who reviewed it, not only made one of the best songs on the album sound like crap, makes himslelf out to be cheap because he would rather beat someone randum guy up than shell out 9 for a new cd and also seems to like to dance around in his car!! its people like him who make the roads a dangerouse place!!!! begone u stupid reviewists!! BEGONE!!!! -chris-
    haha, i like this guy. lol