The Trick To Life review by The Hoosiers

• Released: Oct 22, 2007
The Hoosiers: The Trick To Life

As the "Indie" generation grows ever larger more and more new bands are popping in and out of the charts, recording one album then dissapearing. But where they go after their first works is really decided by the impact of their first album. Well there is quite a strong chance this will not hapen to the Hoosiers, however I still have a funny hunch that it could all go horribly wrong. Anyway on to more pressing matters, their first track appeared on iTunes in the form of a free single of the week download, and did not impress me. I keep having several arguments about this from my friends but to me, the tune itself sounds like the guitar and vocals of a Kooks song and the drumming styles of The Ramones mixed together to make a sound that would make D12 feel proud of themselves. However although these comments are sharp and evil, the only way was up for the group and they picked themselves up and made one of the finest albums of the past three years. Irwin Sparkes (if this is his real name) makes a eerie toe-tapping combination of multi-tracked voices and guitar in the song Everything goes dark, which has a fantastic crescendo of the recently mentioned effect near the end of the song, which made my day. Sheer Excellence shows through in the songs Worried About Ray which is guaranteed to make a fool of you on any bus, Feeling You Get, Goodbye Mr A, which many of my colleagues have told me "its only that one line I can remember in the whole song!" which is quite true.

This is unfortunately where they album loses its impact. It's like Snap, Crackle but no Pop. There's is just something about album fillers that I detest but, not just the album fillers in this album have low-grade lyrics, I mean come on, Run Rabbit Run? Okay the music is top notch and so is the singing but it is simply like someone stuck a hoover on one of their heads and sucked out all the good ideas. As mentioned earlier this is why I am desperately hoping they will improve on this in another album.

I am happy that The Hoosiers have appeared as the album has proved something I want to play on my iPod whenever I pick it up. Taking their influences from The Cure and XTC it is easy to see where their streak of alternative magic comes from. I love their contrast of indie/alternative with a range of new styles and intsruments. I am extremly dissapointed however, about this album after hearing such good word of mouth about it I wanted it to be 10/10, but it's just the small matter with being another indie band with extremely good talent, but all good ideas being held back, I just hope they put it in another album where they show their genious.

johnwh92
    im huge into indie and these guys are pure pop, they bring nothing to the table except for top 40 piss
    slann101
    pigmaggots
    I went out and bought this album, like most, I liked Worried About Ray, as sort of a guilty pleasure...Mr A didn't catch me. If you like upbeat pop, then you'll like the album, simple as. I like pop structures so I like the album, its not exactly original, some sogns sound exactly like The Cure in places and others sound like other bands but in terms of an album that you can just put on to do the housework to, its a good solid album.
    SL!!!
    oh... THAT guy wrote: CaptainInternet wrote: A7X666 wrote: this sucks.... another s****y indie band that has little or no musical talent You like A7X. nuff said. Oooh! I Like A Lot Of Metal, (Lamb of God, Slayer, A7X, Mastodon etc.) And The Song Worried About Ray is Kind Of A Guilty Pleasure For Me.
    Again, you are a person who likes A7X...hahahaha.
    clapton-floyd
    oh... THAT guy wrote: I Like A Lot Of Metal, (Lamb of God, Slayer, A7X, Mastodon etc.) And The Song Worried About Ray is Kind Of A Guilty Pleasure For Me.
    The grammar Nazi's are coming...
    zapatista89
    sorry for the double post, but if anyones ever heard of a 70's/80's band ELO, you can see ther just trying to carry on a style
    Gregoric
    mr a was ok but worried about ray just got on my nerves really badly, plus i'm definitely not into the indie scene, but its nice to see they dont take themselves too seriously for their own good
    ze monsta
    slann101 wrote: i must say, this is the best fairest review ive read on this site. the author should be proud. imo, its the hoosiers. im sorry, but with their brand of pop indie, their only one step away from the backstreet boys. and that image...appealing to 5 year old girls. im sorry, but thats my 2 cents
    It's true...at least other bands like The Klaxons (who I can't stand) don't try to be a band tor 8 year old girls...I know 14 year old boys who like The Hoosiers...
    oh... THAT guy
    CaptainInternet
    You like A7X. nuff said.
    ChikiChikiwa
    I honestly like the album, upbeat pop rock (ish?) with tidy song writing. Nothing too fancy but just nice to listen too.
    Rock1986
    I've never heard of them. I just clicked on this because I'm from Indiana and we're called Hoosiers. From the comments posted, they dont sound like that great of a band.
    CousticStrangla
    I met a girl on the beach during summer vacation and she was from St. Louis. She said they say "hoosier" when referring to someone as a "ho," which in certain dialect is also synonymous with "idiot."
    pigmaggots
    I kind of like them....Worried about ray has been in my head for months but the album didnt hit me at all.
    A7X666
    this sucks.... another s****y indie band that has little or no musical talent