The Trick To Life review by The Hoosiers

• Released: Oct 22, 2007
The Hoosiers: The Trick To Life

"The Trick to Life" is The Hoosiers' first album and it was a great way to start their career. First of all, Irwin Sparkes' vocals sound amazing and show his great range. Everything else sounds great. There's some great guitar work on songs like "Worried About Ray" and "The Trick to Life." The drums sound great as well, especially on "Worst Case Scenario." The albums' most popular single "Goodbye Mr. A" is quite upbeat and so are some other songs on the album, but there is some quieter, more chilled out tracks on the album. This album's mix of upbeat and slower songs adds to the great indie pop sound of this album.

The lyrics on this album are superb and very clever at times. The song "Run Rabbit Run" for example, is about a girl being with a guy that is not good for her. The Hoosiers have put a clever spin on this, by comparing the situation to a fox chasing a rabbit. The lyrics can range to things like this to a song song about a teacher who thinks he's superior and forgot to switch his feelings on ("Goodbye Mr. A"). This album shows very clearly that The Hoosiers are some of the best lyricists in pop music, due to their interesting subjects and clever lyrics.

This album, for me, is easily a 10/10 album, due to it being one of my favourite albums of all time. This album is indie pop at it's best. It sounds excellent and every song is a winner. The vocals, guitars and drums sound great on every track. If this album was stolen or lost, I would buy it again in a heartbeat. There is no way that I could have an album collection without this album. Overall, this album is amazing and it is an album that I will always love and never get tired of. Irwin, Al and Martin created a great first album that was a great way to start their career.