Strange House review by The Horrors

• Released: Mar 8, 2007
The Horrors: Strange House

I think Joshua von Grimms'guitar and Spider Webbs' organ work very well to create the mood and atmosphere on this album. Josh uses a variety of pedals and effects to create weird and wonderful sounds with his Fender Jag, from screechy solos to spooky sounding riffs, that create a horror punk kind of feel, perfectly accompanied by the hammering notes and sequences Webb throws in. The bassist, Tomethy Thurse, uses lots of great bass lines consistently through the album, from single note drawls to crushing stomping lines. It's all held together with Coffin Joe's pounding beats and crashes, which are consistently good throughout the album. The musicianship on this album is great. I would say styles range from garage, punk, surf, horror themes and others. They have quite a trashy feel. Very Good.

Faris "Rotter" Badwan is the lyricist and Vocalist for the Horrors. With his ghoulish screams to his slurred musings, he makes a great Punk singer. Their lyrics are pretty weird to be honest, with songs like "Gloves", about finding gloves and having an obsession, it appears haha. Many of the songs tell stories, or parts of them, like Jack the Ripper and Sheena is a Parisite. I think the vocals are good though.

This is The Horrors debut album, and I would say it is an excellent one. It is everything I and my friends wanted from them, after buying a few singles and demos etc. My personal favourites are 'Gloves', their latest single, and 'Excellent Choice", which has a voice over story. I think buying it would, in fact, make an Excellent Choice. I really like this album because it sounds quite different from a lot of the new music coming out at the moment. I bought the album the day it came out at an Instore performance and Signing; the performance was Insane and really prepared us for the great album and live DVD, if you get the bonus DVD version. If I lost this album, I'd RUN to my local CD shop and get it again.

horrorsmaniac
    May i say, the song 'jack the ripper' is not by the band but by screaming lord sutch.....