Midheaven review by The Human Abstract

• Released: Aug 19, 2008
The Human Abstract: Midheaven

I found this band through a friend after he showed me Vela, together we await the storm, which the first time I listened sounded like pretty generic prog-metalcore until I "decoded it" so to speak. Unlike most people I actually like this album more than I liked Nocturne, and found the two softer songs (This World Is a Tomb, A Dead World at Sunrise) a nice break and very beautiful. This album seemed more flowing when it was soft, and sudden when it was trying to express negative emotions, which I found very pleasing. I really liked the change of sound from their last album, but dreadfully miss A.J. Minette, and found Breathing Life into the Devices too sudden and overall found poor musicianship in this one song.

While Nathan Ells lyrical skills have drastically improved, it felt as if his vocal intricacy was lost somewhere in the process. I liked how the lyrics seemed to be a separate track from the melody of the vocals, meaning that the lyrics seemed to create new depth in the song, instead of how most bands use vocals to fill a gap in the song or continue the same mood/feel. I really liked how this album had a concept to it and had a very deep heartfelt impression.

I, believe it or not, would rather have this album than Nocturne, and if it was stolen I would buy a hundred more copies of it. The song that really impressed me the most was actually counting down the days, as this song had multiple messages in it, and showed what Nathan truly believed in what he was singing, and proved that even without extreme intricacy The Human Abstract is a great band. One thing I do miss is A.J. Minette's input on the song, and miss the classical feel that Nocturne had. Overall, amazing album, I recommend all of you go buy this!

polytriplica
    My problem with the album is that they tried to expand their sound and FAILED. I have no problem with a band growing and exploring new sounds with their music. The bands that stay the same don't last long, or last much longer than they should with songs that all sound exactly the same. *coughDISTURBEDLATELYcough* Nathan Ells took too much license with this and the musical aspect just wasn't up to par. With the classical writing aspect gone, the sound suffers.