Midheaven Review

The Human Abstract: Midheaven
Released: August 19, 2008
Genre: Progressive Metal, Neo-Classical Metal, Mathcore progressive Rock
Label: Hopeless
The album was originally recorded with producer Toby Wright.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 7.6
 8.4
 6.8
Midheaven Reviewed by: bakshandloomis, on september 08, 2008

Sound: The Human Abstract has changed quite a bit since Nocturne. They're not shredding as much, they're not as heavy, and have become a bit more progressive with Midheaven. Even though they cut down on the shredding, there's still quite a bit (a lot is actually done by Dean, unlike Nocturne), one of the best parts, in my opinion, is about 4 minutes into Breathing Life Into Devices. One of the things that killed me when I finished this album is the fact that there is no classical influence anymore, which is one of the reasons I started listening to them. I liked the addition of a keyboardist, though. He does add a more "epic" atmosphere, but he has no solos, which I was expecting. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are very well written, each song has several different meanings. The album is supposed to be concept album about the cycles that man goes though and has gone though throughout history. You can tell that Nathan put a lot of work and a lot of time into these lyrics. His singing is a bit different than Nocturne, there's more variety in Midheaven. There's not as much screaming on Midheaven, but there's the addition of low growls. A lot more of the clean singing seems MTV approved, but still good. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is different that Nocturne; I don't think it's quite as good, but defiantly worth buying. My favorite songs are Breathing Life Into Devices, Clam in the Chaos and Counting Down the Days. The only thing I don't like about this album is the loss of the classical influence. Every member of this band is extremely talented, and it can be heard throughout Midheaven. If this album were stolen or lost I would be very upset as every member of the band has already signed it, but I already downloaded on my computer so I wouldn't need to buy another copy. // 8

Midheaven Reviewed by: YesterdaysToday, on january 21, 2011

Sound: I found this band through a friend after he showed me Vela, together we await the storm, which the first time I listened sounded like pretty generic prog-metalcore until I "decoded it" so to speak. Unlike most people I actually like this album more than I liked Nocturne, and found the two softer songs (This World Is a Tomb, A Dead World at Sunrise) a nice break and very beautiful. This album seemed more flowing when it was soft, and sudden when it was trying to express negative emotions, which I found very pleasing. I really liked the change of sound from their last album, but dreadfully miss A.J. Minette, and found Breathing Life into the Devices too sudden and overall found poor musicianship in this one song. // 7

Lyrics: While Nathan Ells lyrical skills have drastically improved, it felt as if his vocal intricacy was lost somewhere in the process. I liked how the lyrics seemed to be a separate track from the melody of the vocals, meaning that the lyrics seemed to create new depth in the song, instead of how most bands use vocals to fill a gap in the song or continue the same mood/feel. I really liked how this album had a concept to it and had a very deep heartfelt impression. // 9

Overall Impression: I, believe it or not, would rather have this album than Nocturne, and if it was stolen I would buy a hundred more copies of it. The song that really impressed me the most was actually counting down the days, as this song had multiple messages in it, and showed what Nathan truly believed in what he was singing, and proved that even without extreme intricacy The Human Abstract is a great band. One thing I do miss is A.J. Minette's input on the song, and miss the classical feel that Nocturne had. Overall, amazing album, I recommend all of you go buy this! // 8

Comments