Nocturne review by The Human Abstract

• Released: Aug 22, 2006
The Human Abstract: Nocturne

This band really surprised me. Finally there's something fresh and original in a recent band. These guys are all about the music, virtuosity and creativity have finally gathered in a new band. What you can hear in this album is a mixture of many genres (mostly european influenced metal). It's a blend of power metal (oh yes, believe me, in some riffs you will get Rhapsody in your mind), complex guitar playing (Jason Becker-like), I don't know if metalcore or what but it is definitely metal. Each track will take you on a different atmosphere, making this album very unique, because each track is very well played and has a lot of variety that makes the act of listening to this album a true experience.

Some lyrics talk about abstract themes, this isn't a themed album, but the lyrics are good. In some cases the title of the songs are unfolded in the lyrics in metaphores or in fictionized situations. They're good, but could be a little better. But that doesn't mean that they're bad. The vocals are dynamic, they range from melodic singing, to simple screams. Nothing more.

Well I can't say that it compares to other artists or albums, because they mix many things in each song making each song escentially unique. The guitars are great and so is the drumming; a band like this one can't stay in a genre for too much time, and in every song the transition just comes up naturally that you won't even notice because of the ambientation and the technique they use is awesome; I won't get in details in the time signatures they play, but it is definitely technical metal. In terms of originality, quality playing, dynamism, creativity, this band has an A+. Any metal fan will surely appreciate this brand new band, they may be new in the scene, but they don't play like it. I assure you, nobody will be disappointed.

papersun87
    I've only seen them live, and they had their stuff turned up WAYYY too loud, everything all ran together and it sounded really bad. But coolest merch ever.
    CaRveItiNbass
    i saw and met them at The Grange in Wilmington, Delaware, the last place you'd expect to see a good band, but I was completely blown away by them. Dean, the rhythm guitarist, taught me how to make dredlocks, and i nearly put him on the floor from laughing. In any case, this is an incredible album, and they've become one of my favorite bands of all time.
    kladdkaka
    it really is a good band with all the mixing that makes it so unique, and the guitar playing is amazing!
    cloud041089
    doyledoyle wrote: My only exposure to this band is the video i saw for "crossing the rubicon." I was initially blown away by the brilliant tech guitar and uncomparably syncopated breakdowns. The video was sick as well. Depression sank in, though, when I first heard the totally weak singing that plays the role of intermission to the otherwise relentless brutality. I still respect the work, but until a cease is called on the whining, I won't be listening to this band on any regular basis.
    I'd say listen to more of their stuff.. every single song has that brilliant quality you're talking about. Once you get used to the singing you'll be loving the band. I think there are only two of those "intermissions" on the whole album. All the other singing is louder, stronger, and for choruses instead of soft intermissions. Check their myspace or watch the video for "Vela, Togerther we Await the Storm."
    Acid_x_Rain
    Lets just say I agree with everyone who posted that these guys rock! or as I like to say, they kick-friggen-shin! Those of you who think they suck...why are you looking them up? Are your lives really so pathetic and boring that you have nothing better to do then look up bands you don't like and tell everyone who likes them that you think they suck? Wait..you don't know good music when you hear it...of course your lives are pathetic!
    forallthesin
    amazing amazing amazing band! i cant wait to hear what theese guys come up with in the future! definetly worth seeing live as well!
    doyledoyle
    ch1pmnk
    bon_harrington wrote: THese guys SUCK! THey are horrible, how they got a record deal is beyond me..... I can sit and scream into a microphone too, maybe i should send there record company my demo... Horrible band
    r u an idiot? you dont even know what your talking about. incase you havnt heard they have a new singer that acutally SINGS most off the time. these guys are the most original thing ive heard fukn melodic classical fused with some metal. just amazing. its refreshing to here something out of the pentantonic scale
    Trivium!
    I've had this CD awhile and its unbelievable. The classical breakdowns in the middle of songs and the musicianship is just awesome. This is definitly currently my favorite CD.
    IfDaysEnd
    well I said metal, because everybody is "tired" of their favorite bands being called "metalcore" "deathcore" etc etc...so I just named it metal
    cloud041089
    To the reviewer, the band isn't that metal... but yeah, THA is definitely a favorite. I'm looking forward to their show with All that Remains, another favorite.
    Dark_Divinity
    i saw these guys the other night with god forbid goat***** arsis and mnemic. i had never heard them before and they completely blew me away. everybody in the band is a cool guy that will sit around and talk to the fans. their guitar players have a bright future instore for themselves. one hell of a band.
    x_pth_x
    I saw these guys 2 times in 3 days with protest the hero. They were amazing, and I urge everyone to check them out on their upcoming tour with All That Remains! Amazing band, amazing album!
    that1l)ude
    good band, bad review. justintino, thank you that needed to be said. key tracks to me are crossing the rubicon, vela together we await the storm , and polaris. and for people confused this is a metalcore cd/band.
    IRONxPANTERA
    i saw these guys when their cd came out they werent really that big and i got to talk to them and got the cd signed really cool dude, they blew everyother band away funny to watch how big these guys are getting
    duke2446
    these guys are amazing and hey bon_harrington if they got signed appartly alot of people like them not everyone hates the same stuff you do grow up
    MachineHeart
    i saw them live at sonar and they kicked ass. it was the day before the cd came out and we all got it for like 5 bucks. these guys are amazing, as is ther guitarist dean, who is an incredibly nice dude. actually they are all incredibly nice what the **** am i talkin about. ne way, opposed to papersun, they do play a good live show, and whether ur into hardcore, metal, shred or whatever, pick this shit up. its amazing.
    becker009
    these guys are the best thing to happen to metal today, in my opinion. bands like this, and protest the hero, bring a breath of fresh air to a mostly-tapped genre.
    JustinTino
    bon_harrington... youre a ****ing retard. you wanna know how they got a record deal? cuz they have talent and they actually know a lot about music. its shit like how Three Days Grace gets signed and they have the least amount of talent ive seen from any band, and all their riffs come from the simplest ****in scales. the only reason why theyre famous is cuz of their singing, which basically defines pop. when the shit did music become more about vocals than actual music? anyway, sorry, but im glad bands like the human abstract are comin back, cuz theyre shitting on every band that just makes half-assed music for money
    cbursley346924
    Justin pretty much nailed you right in the mouth. This cd is effing amazing. I absolutely LOVE this band. I saw their video for "Crossing the Rubicon" on headbangers ball and got the cd ASAP..and it is AMAZING. Super talented guys.
    Hoopty G
    definately one of my favorite bands... instruments and vocals are awesome... got to see them live too
    <Insanity>
    They're freaking awesome. I saw them live at Peabody's in Cleveland on the 11th earlier this month, and they were insane. I had to get their CD after seeing them live, because they're amazing. I think they're so much better than 99% of the bands out there. They're really cool guys too, I actually talked to their drummer, and then the whole band besides the singer after my friend's band performed, and they actually thought they were really good, which was pretty cool.
    ZeRoGuY
    when will hardcore die? it sure needs too... god all these guys do live is stick their crotches in the faces of the people in the front row showing off sweeps in EVERY SONG! I didn't hear any structure to a song just SWEEPS! SOLOS! MELODIES! that's IT god it was annoying they just grab attention cause they can play fast. they are so out of place on tour with God Forbid, Goat*****, and Mnemic... they are frickin emo kids trying to play metal, or better known as "hardcore"
    Sten
    this album and band are so amazing. i wish there were more bands that mix so many genres like that.
    Ibanez 3030
    zero guy please know what your talking about before you type. God forbid have muuuccchh worse gutiarists and dong structure than these guys and goat ***** are a completely different genrea. Dont ever call these guys emo they ****ing rule. My chemical romance is emo this is hardcore/metal core. KNow what your talking about before you open your mouth
    guitarfreek4591
    Zeroguy, you ****ing idiot, theyre in no way emo, and if you listened to their songs you'd know theyre not than just solos and sweeps. Just because they can take a simple riff that ****ing mainstream bands like Fallout Boy play and turn them into complex and melodic riffs that actually show talent doesnt mean they suck. Besides, Mnemic didnt deserve to be on that tour out of any of them cause Mnemic sucks, The Human Abstract owns your face dude. I love the songs Polaris and Movement from Discord, just because they have such a story weaved into the lyrics, and the instruments seem to give an actual feel to them
    bon_harrington