45 rpm: The Singles, 1977-1979 review by The Jam

• Released: Apr 2, 2001
  • Users' score: 8 (1 vote)
The Jam: 45 rpm: The Singles, 1977-1979

'45rpm' is a collection of all of The Jam's singles in the '70s, and there is also a 1980-1982 version of this well. It was a great idea to put all of their singles in a box, because they must be extremely rare nowadays. The names of the singles are 'In The City', 'All Around The World', 'The Modern World', 'News Of The World', 'David Watts', 'Down In The Tube Station At Midnight', 'Strange Town', 'When You're Young' and 'The Eton Rifles'. However, it is annoying switching nine different discs every six minutes, because most of the singles only have two tracks. But the sound is brilliant, because there is some songs that I never heard off before, like 'Innocent Man' and 'The Night'. There is one live song included in one of the nine singles, The Jam played 'Back In My Arms Again' at the 100 Club on 11 September 1977 and it features on the single 'The Modern World'. Overall, quality sound, but the '1980-1982' version is slightly better, because they offer you more live songs.

I have to admit that this is the most annoying Jam CD ever (as well as the '1980-1982' version), especially if you want to see the quality of Paul Weller's song writing. Paul Weller's song writing is phenomenal, but there is no point keep switching discs just to find out how good he really is, you would normally find out how good the music is. But if you wanted to listen to Paul Weller's lyrics and his singing skills, you will be amazed.

Overall, it is not the worst Jam album but the most annoying Jam album. If you think about it, this album is like a 'Best Of', because it contains all The Jam's singles and 'b' sides from the '70s. If you want a 'Best Of' album, I would recommend you to either buy 'Snap!' or 'The Very Best Of The Jam'. What I like about this album is that it was a clever idea to put all of The Jam's singles from the '70s into one box. What I hate about it is that it is frustrating. If this album got stolen/lost, I probably would never buy it again. To end this review, you will enjoy '45rpm' if you are patient.

Crash91
    The tracks featured on this album are: Disc One: 1. In The City 2. Takin' My Love Disc Two: 1. All Around The World 2. Carnaby Street Disc Three: 1. The Modern World 2. Sweet Soul Music 3. Back In My Arms Again [Live] Disc Four: 1. News Of The World 2. Aunties And Uncles (Impolsive Youths) 3. Innocent Man Disc Five: 1. David Watts 2. 'A' Bomb In Wardour Street Disc Six: 1. Down In The Tube Station At Midnight 2. So Sad About Us 3. The Night Disc Seven: 1. Strange Town 2. The Butterfly Collector Disc Eight: 1. When You're Young 2. Smithers-Jones Disc Nine: 1. The Eton Rifles 2. See Saw