All Mod Cons Review

The Jam: All Mod Cons
Release Date: Nov 3, 1978
Label: Polydor
Genres: Punk, New Wave, Mod Revival, British Punk
The Jam regrouped and refocused for All Mod Cons, an album that marked a great leap in songwriting maturity and sense of purpose.
 9.1
 8.2
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
All Mod Cons Reviewed by: Crash91, on june 26, 2006

Sound: 'All Mod Cons' was The Jam's third album, and what an album it is! Since releasing the poor 'This Is The Modern World' album, The Jam had dramatically improved. Unlike the majority of albums, every song on this album is sensational and it includes the singles 'David Watts', 'A Bomb In Wardour Street' and 'Down In The Tube Station At Midnight'. Before The Jam released this album, they struggled to produce new material, then they done a U-turn and got back to their best. The opening track, 'All Mod Cons', would've started off brilliant if it was longer. 'All Mod Cons' is a great song, but it's only one minute and 20 seconds long. After the release of 'This Is The Modern World', there were suggestions that the band should do more acoustic and ballad music. The Jam replied with the acoustic 'English Rose' and 'Fly'. Both songs were great and you could tell The Jam had already improved successfully. There are great rock songs such as 'The Place I Love' and 'A Bomb In Wardour Street'. 'A Bomb In Wardour Street' contains a sensational solo at the end of it. The last track, 'Down In The Tube Station At Midnight', contains a busy bass-line from Bruce Foxton and was made the most successful song on this album. Overall, all 12 songs are outstanding and 'All Mod Cons' was the greatest Jam studio album. // 10

Lyrics: Before 'All Mod Cons' was released, The Jam released their fourth single named 'News Of The World' and it was written by the bassist Bruce Foxton. There were suggestions that Paul Weller struggled to write new material. But he contributed well to this album, and every song contains sensational lyrics (one song named 'David Watts' was actually written by Ray Davies). It was a massive boost for Paul Weller and he continued to write several more great songs in the future. His singing skills are superb, but everyone knows Paul Weller as Britain's most successful writer. // 10

Overall Impression: 'All Mod Cons' is definitely The Jam's greatest studio album and it is one of my favourites. And the fact is that they are British as well, you should be proud if you're British. Funnily enough, it is only 6.00 in the shops, so it's definitely worth a buy. The most impressive songs on this album are 'To Be Someone (Didn't We Have A Nice Time)', 'Mr. Clean', 'In The Crowd', 'The Place I Love', 'A Bomb In Wardour Street' and 'Down In The Tube Station At Midnight'. The other songs were just as good. What I love about this album was that every song was brilliant. What I didn't like about this album was that it lasted just about 40 minutes. If this album got stolen/lost, I would definitely buy it again. To end this review, 'All Mod Cons' was a sensational album and to my opinion, it's the best album from the '70s. // 10

Comments