Beat Surrender review by The Jam

• Released: Jan 1, 1982
The Jam: Beat Surrender

'Beat Surrender' is an odd collection of Jam songs, with some Jam hits that never featured on their original albums mixed with their best unreleased songs from all of their original albums. For example, some of the Jam's hits that feature on this album are 'Beat Surrender' and 'When You're Young', and some of their unreleased songs that feature on all of their original albums are 'All Mod Cons' and 'Pretty Green'. However, this album is a brilliant album and does not effect the sound whatsoever. The opening track, named 'Beat Surrender', was funnily enough The Jam's last hit, but 'Beat Surrender' was a song that could be good to start a CD of and good to end the CD with. It was their feelgood swansong, that contains a lot of piano and female backing singers. Although the first two tracks are pop, the rest of them were great punk-rock songs that makes this album superb, with blazing guitar riffs. There are a couple of cover songs, they are 'Batman Theme' (The Who) and 'In The Midnight Hour' (Wilson Pickett). The Jam's cover songs were of the highest quality, but so were their unreleased songs that featured on their original albums. 'Beat Surrender' is an album that an alternative British rocker would want, and only for a bargain price at 4.00!

Fourteen songs, all written and composed by Paul Weller, were sensational. Paul Weller's song writing was phenomenal, and so was his singing skills. And if someone purchases this album and has never heard any of The Jam's unreleased songs, they will be impressed.

'Beat Surrender' was my first Jam album and I was particulary impressed with it. When I bought this album, I just started getting into The Jam, and because I liked this album, I got a lot more Jam albums, and they were brilliant. What I love about this album was it was cheap! I don't hate anything about this album. If this album got stolen/lost, I would definitely buy it again. To end this review, 'Beat Surrender' is a cheap, but sensational album.

Crash91
    The tracks featured on this album are: 1. Beat Surrender 2. Town Called Malice 3. Pretty Green 4. That's Entertainment 5. The Gift 6. Carnaby Street 7. Batman Theme 8. In The City 9. All Mod Cons 10. The Modern World 11. When You're Young 12. Funeral Pyre 13. Private Hell 14. In The Midnight Hour