Dig The New Breed review by The Jam

• Released: Dec 10, 1982
  • Users' score: 9 (1 vote)
The Jam: Dig The New Breed

'Dig The New Breed' was The Jam's first album since Paul Weller announced that he wanted to end The Jam. Just like another album named 'Beat Surrender', this album contained poorly chosen songs and there could've been more. This 14-track album contains just five of eighteen hits, the rest was just The Jam's greatest highlights from their original albums such as 'All Mod Cons' and 'Sound Affects'. The tracks have been completely mixed up so it isn't in time order. There have been a lot of Jam albums around Britain recently, and most of them start with 'In The City', so does this one. The only reason they choose this as their opening track is because it was The Jam's debut single and it is a fantastic track to start off any album. 'In The City' is the only song on this album that features on their debut album 'In The City'. There is also only one song that features on The Jam's worst album 'This Is The Modern World' - 'Standards'. It was quite a poor song and a poor choice. Four tracks on this album feature on their best album 'All Mod Cons', they are the one-minute 'All Mod Cons', 'To Be Someone (Didn't We Have A Nice Time)', 'It's Too Bad' and the superb 'In The Crowd'. Two songs feature on 'Setting Sons' - 'Big Bird' and 'Private Hell'. Three songs feature on another great album named 'Sound Affects' - they are 'Set The House Ablaze', 'Start! ' and the acoustic 'That's Entertainment'. Only one song features on their only no.1 album 'The Gift' - 'Ghosts'. The other tracks are the amazing 'Going Underground' and 'The Dreams Of Children'. Despite some of the choices of songs were poor, this album is still incredible.

It was sad to hear that the song writer Paul Weller wanted to end The Jam. It was a shame as he was one of the finest song writers in the UK and Jam fans wanted more. The lyrics to this album are great, and so is Weller's singing skills. Credit to Bruce Foxton who was a backing singer for most of The Jam's hits, but we remember Paul Weller as one of the greatest composers of all time.

This album would be an ideal gift for any Jam fan, it is cheap and an enjoyable album to listen to. The most impressive songs on this album are 'All Mod Cons', 'Going Underground' and 'Start! '. What I love about this album was that it was cheap but still a great album. It might've been cheap, because it was an old album. What I didn't like about this album was that there could be more songs. If this album got stolen/lost, I might buy it again. To end this review, 'Dig The New Breed' was just like 'Beat Surrender', it was a cheap and enjoyable album to listen to.

Crash91
    The tracks featured on this album are: 1. In The City 2. All Mod Cons 3. To Be Someone (Didn't We Have A Nice Time) 4. It's Too Bad 5. Start! 6. Big Bird 7. Set The House Ablaze 8. Ghosts 9. Standards 10. In The Crowd 11. Going Underground 12. The Dreams Of Children 13. That's Entertainment 14. Private Hell
    waynedave
    you do know that this is a live album don't you? I only bring it up because you have give this a great review (quite rightly) but reviewed the 'Live Jam' album saying they couldn't play live.