Extras: A Collection Of Rarities review by The Jam

• Released: Apr 6, 1992
  • Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
The Jam: Extras: A Collection Of Rarities

'Extras' was basically The Jam's extra songs they have recorded, and most of it was completely different to any of their previous work. There was more orchestral backing and less punk-rock on this album that made it below average. This should not be your first Jam album. However, this album starts off well. The opening track, named 'The Dreams Of Children' contains a blazing guitar riff from Paul Weller (lead guitarist and vocalist) and was originally the b-side of The Jam's first no.1 hit 'Going Underground'. The next track was also successful, another b-side named 'Tales From The Riverbank', it was a dreamy shimmer of psychedelic guitars and wistful vocals. The next track, 'Liza Radley', was not bad either. This time it was a Syd Barrett influenced song, an acoustical and evocative ballad that made up the 'b' side to The Jam's second no.1 hit 'Start!'. You could see that The Jam had put a lot of thought into their b-sides, and this album started off really well. But suddenly, the next few tracks were more orchestral, and they were diabolical. From Tracks 3-26, only eight of them were impressive. That meant 15 of them were bad. The worst examples are 'Stoned Out Of My Mind', an awful orchestral sound, and a cover of James Brown's 'I Got You (I Feel Good)'. How can you expect The Jam who were previously one of the greatest punk-rock bands in the '70s compose a song like this? But what even made this album more strange was the last track 'The Eton Rifles'. 'The Eton Rifles' was one of The Jam's greatest hits, and should not be included in this album. In fact, it is the only a-side in the entire album! Overall, the sound of this album is bad, but at least it starts well and ends well.

Paul Weller is one of the finest song writers in the UK, but this album made him less prolific. Paul Weller wrote many classic songs, but on this album, you can see why The Jam never released some of the songs on this album, or even put them on their previous albums. Except for the unexpected 'The Eton Rifles'. Even his singing skills weren't as good as before.

'Extras' was by far the worst Jam album. Also some of the choice of songs were poor, because 'The Eton Rifles' should not feature on this album. It should feature on some of their 'greatest hits' albums. Also, if you buy this album, you will waste your money, because you should get a different Jam album named 'The Sound Of The Jam' (the two-disc and DVD version) which contains every song from 'Extras' plus some of their greatest hits. What I like about this album was that it started well. What I hate about this album was that it contains a lot of poor songs. If it got stolen/lost, I would never buy it again. Instead, I will either get 'The Sound Of The Jam', or a different CD. To end this review, avoid buying 'Extras'. It should never be included in your Jam collection.

Crash91
    The tracks featured on this album are: 1. The Dreams Of Children 2. Tales From The Riverbank 3. Liza Radley 4. Move On Up 5. Shopping 6. Smithers-Jones 7. Pop Art Poem 8. Boy About Town 9. A Solid Bond In Your Heart 10. No One In The World 11. And Your Bird Can Sing 12. Burning Sky 13. Thick As Thieves 14. Disguises 15. Get Yourself Together 16. The Butterfly Collector 17. The Great Depression 18. Stoned Out Of My Mind 19. Pity Poor Alfie/Fever 20. But I'm Different Now 21. I Got You (I Feel Good) 22. Hey Mister 23. Saturday's Kids 24. We've Only Started 25. So Sad About Us 26. The Eton Rifles
    waynedave
    I don't think that you can say that this album makes Paul Weller less prolific as a songwriter. This is an album of B-sides, rarities and un-released tracks. Paul Weller had little to do with the release of this album, and the band were well and truly split up at the time of release. The band, and particularly Weller, never intended for some of these songs to be released, so I really don't think you can say that it affects how prolific he was/is. Having said that, i personally like most of the songs on this album. Can I ask what tracks you do like from this album?