Greatest Hits review by The Jam

• Released: Jul 1, 1991
The Jam: Greatest Hits

'Greatest Hits' contains just Jam hits and no unreleased songs. But there are two hits missing, which were 'A Bomb In Wardour Street' and 'The Dreams Of Children'. A snapshot of the video of 'Start! ' is on the front cover. A lot of Jam albums including this one start of with their debut hit 'In The City', because it's such a brilliant song to start of with. The other hits were 'All Around The World', 'The Modern World', 'News Of The World', 'David Watts', 'Down In The Tube Station At Midnight' which contained Bruce Foxton's most successful bass-line, 'Strange Town', 'When You're Young', 'The Eton Rifles', their first no.1 single 'Going Underground', their second no.1 single 'Start! ' which contained another great bass-line, the acoustic 'That's Entertainment', 'Funeral Pyre' which contained Rick Buckler's insane drum-beat, 'Absolute Beginners', their third no.1 single 'Town Called Malice' along with the funky 'Precious', 'Just Who Is The Five O' Clock Hero? ', 'The Bitterist Pill (I Ever Had To Swallow)' and their fourth no.1 single 'Beat Surrender'. Despite it almost made it to no.1, 'The Bitterist Pill (I Ever Had To Swallow)' was The Jam's worst song on this album, because there was a lot of orchestral backing in it. I rated the sound 9/10, but if it had 'A Bomb In Wardour Street', 'The Dreams Of Children' and possibly more songs, I would've rated it a 10.

The lyrics from every song are phenomenal, because of Paul Weller. One song named 'News Of The World' was written by the bassist Bruce Foxton and it was good, but the other songs were just amazing. Also, Paul Weller's singing skills were great as well, and credit to Bruce Foxton for being the backing singer for most of these songs.

'Greatest Hits' is not the best 'Best Of Jam' album, because it doesn't include two great hits, but it is still a great album. The most impressive songs on this album were 'Going Underground' and 'Start!'. What I love about this album was that it contained a lot of great Jam hits, but what I didn't like about it was that they didn't include every hit, and it could've been longer as well. If this album got stolen/lost, I would either buy 'The Very Best Of The Jam' or 'Snap!' instead. To end this review, 'Greatest Hits' was just one of several great Jam albums, but it doesn't include every hit.

Crash91
    The tracks featured on this album are: 1. In The City 2. All Around The World 3. The Modern World 4. News Of The World 5. David Watts 6. Down In The Tube Station At Midnight 7. Strange Town 8. When You're Young 9. The Eton Rifles 10. Going Underground 11. Start! 12. That's Entertainment 13. Funeral Pyre 14. Absolute Beginners 15. Town Called Malice 16. Precious 17. Just Who Is The Five O' Clock Hero? 18. The Bitterist Pill (I Ever Had To Swallow) 19. Beat Surrender