Greatest Hits Review

The Jam: Greatest Hits
Release Date: Jul 1, 1991
Label: Polydor
Genres: Punk, New Wave, Mod Revival, British Punk
Greatest Hits covers nearly the same ground as Snap!, with all the tracks but "Just Who Is The Five O'Clock Hero" included on the previous compilation.
 4.9
 9.7
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Greatest Hits Reviewed by: Crash91, on june 26, 2006

Sound: 'Greatest Hits' contains just Jam hits and no unreleased songs. But there are two hits missing, which were 'A Bomb In Wardour Street' and 'The Dreams Of Children'. A snapshot of the video of 'Start! ' is on the front cover. A lot of Jam albums including this one start of with their debut hit 'In The City', because it's such a brilliant song to start of with. The other hits were 'All Around The World', 'The Modern World', 'News Of The World', 'David Watts', 'Down In The Tube Station At Midnight' which contained Bruce Foxton's most successful bass-line, 'Strange Town', 'When You're Young', 'The Eton Rifles', their first no.1 single 'Going Underground', their second no.1 single 'Start! ' which contained another great bass-line, the acoustic 'That's Entertainment', 'Funeral Pyre' which contained Rick Buckler's insane drum-beat, 'Absolute Beginners', their third no.1 single 'Town Called Malice' along with the funky 'Precious', 'Just Who Is The Five O' Clock Hero? ', 'The Bitterist Pill (I Ever Had To Swallow)' and their fourth no.1 single 'Beat Surrender'. Despite it almost made it to no.1, 'The Bitterist Pill (I Ever Had To Swallow)' was The Jam's worst song on this album, because there was a lot of orchestral backing in it. I rated the sound 9/10, but if it had 'A Bomb In Wardour Street', 'The Dreams Of Children' and possibly more songs, I would've rated it a 10. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics from every song are phenomenal, because of Paul Weller. One song named 'News Of The World' was written by the bassist Bruce Foxton and it was good, but the other songs were just amazing. Also, Paul Weller's singing skills were great as well, and credit to Bruce Foxton for being the backing singer for most of these songs. // 10

Overall Impression: 'Greatest Hits' is not the best 'Best Of Jam' album, because it doesn't include two great hits, but it is still a great album. The most impressive songs on this album were 'Going Underground' and 'Start!'. What I love about this album was that it contained a lot of great Jam hits, but what I didn't like about it was that they didn't include every hit, and it could've been longer as well. If this album got stolen/lost, I would either buy 'The Very Best Of The Jam' or 'Snap!' instead. To end this review, 'Greatest Hits' was just one of several great Jam albums, but it doesn't include every hit. // 10

Comments