This Is The Modern World review by The Jam

• Released: Nov 18, 1977
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
The Jam: This Is The Modern World

'This Is The Modern World' was The Jam's second album, if you are interested in buying a Jam album, I would recommend you to not buy this one, because it is the worst album they've done. It is actually not a bad album at all, but it gets dull after a while. Their first album 'In The City' was a sensational debut album, but even the band themselves dismissed their second album as lacklustre. Firstly, the opening track 'The Modern World' is the only main track on the entire album, its punchy, power chords, nimble bass lines and snappy drumming created a tense atmosphere central to the early Jam sound. There were love songs named 'I Need You (For Someone)' and 'Tonight At Noon' which revealed a softer side to his nature. There was poetry involved as well, like 'Tonight At Noon' and a cover named 'In The Midnight Hour' which was originally done by Wilson Pickett. One of the album's highlights was undoubtedly 'The Combine'. But the album didn't get anywhere, it may well have wrecked The Jam. Despite the poor album, The Jam left it all behind and continued to do another four albums which were even better than 'In The City'. This is why you shouldn't buy 'This Is The Modern World'.

Bassist Bruce Foxton wrote two songs on this songs named 'Don't Tell Them You're Sane' and 'London Traffic' were trounced by the critics. Paul Weller's songs were more intriguing. The lyrics are quite good, his singing skills hasn't changed since their first album 'In The City'. His singing skills are superb.

Although this may be their worst album, it is not bad at all. The most impressive song in this album is 'The Modern World', without a doubt, because it is the only song on the album they've released. What I like about this album is the start of it, it is a great opening track. What I didn't like about this album was that it sounded familiar and it gets boring after a while. If it got lost, I would buy a different Jam album, but I would only buy this album again just for the collection. To end this review, an album you will not want to buy.

Crash91
    The tracks featured on this album are: 1. The Modern World 2. London Traffic 3. Standards 4. Life From A Window 5. The Combine 6. Don't Tell Them You're Sane 7. In The Street Today 8. London Girl 9. I Need You (For Someone) 10. Here Comes The Weekend 11. Tonight At Noon 12. In The Midnight Hour