That Was Then, This Is Now review by The James Cleaver Quintet

• Released: Oct 31, 2011
The James Cleaver Quintet: That Was Then, This Is Now

Some months ago I went to see Turbowolf and Hawk Eyes on one of their dates of their Co-headline tour of the U.K. I love both of those bands and was keen to see them, but to my surprise the support band The James Cleaver Quintet were the best band of the night. With their guitarist's and bass player going frantic, and a frontman getting in people's faces the whole night, to the sound of some of the most unique songs I've ever heard, I knew I'd discovered the best new band. I bought their this album from their merch and when I listened to it the next day, my fascination with The JCQ increased. They make a sound that is like a Hardcore Punk band playing songs from a musical. The riffs can be intense and abrasive, but also, and very tastefully, they can chill out and have a feel good element to them. The rhythm section does much more than hold the songs together as well, as the basslines are very funky and the drumming is incredibly groovy.

Singer Jack Saunders, can pull off very raw, and sharp screaming, but also has pipes for soaring melodies that makes the album so catchy. The lyrics are excellent as well. They seem to cover the topic of bad music the most. I particularly like it in "Snakes" when it says "We'll see that smile fall from your face, it won't take long, you'll be replaced", which is probably the biggest f--k you to generic music since Refused's "New Noise".

I'm late saying this, but this was certainly my favourite album of 2011. Every song is outstanding and flourishes with originality. My favourite songs are "Snakes", "Trading Water", "Golfing Pros", "B-tches And Hoes" and "Lower Than A Bastard". I've never heard anything like it; and in a time where everyone claims to be doing something new and inventive, when they're not, please support this band that actually are.

Bass-riffer
    iommi600 wrote: Stoner Punk, Screamo Waaaaat. Let me check this out...
    I really don't see where they got Stoner Punk from, but it is wacky and amazing