Day & Age review by The Killers

• Released: Nov 24, 2008
The Killers: Day & Age

After a great debut and follow-up album came a collection of b-sides and one new song. I thought, because they were a great band, their b-sides wouldn't be bad. I am a Killers fan but was not very impressed with Sawdust. Songs like Sweet Talk and Under The Gun I liked but Where The White Boys Dance? I mean that was bad. I was hoping for a sound like Hot Fuss's on the new album and the Killers delivered. Spaceman came in with a pop feel and a great bass part that made the song what it is. It had a good amount of bass and effects. The guitar could have shown more but it came out great. Human the first single had a similar feel to A Dustland Fairytale, starting of quiet then adding instruments like bass and drums, making the songs stick out from the rest of the album. Neon Tiger was is a great song with heavy bass and a quiet guitar solo, the song really deliverers when the guitar kicks up about half way into it making the song explode into your ears and letting your mind dance. Joyride, Losing Touch, and I Can't Stay brought something I thought I would never hear from the Killers, Saxaphone. It brought a little jazz fell to the alternative/pop songs making them feel warm and welcoming. The song Good Night Travel Well was a little scary it has the same riff going on in the back round the whole time basically, it was a little to weird and is easily the most disapointing track on the album. Also there was only one guitar solo, which was in Losing Touch. Overall the new albums sound and fell is excellent and surpasses the previous albums.

The Killers always used interesting lyrics like in Andy Your A Star and Somebody Told Me from Hot Fuss, Bones and My List from Sam's Town. And they continued that on Day and Age. Neon Tiger, the name of the song is weird. At first i was worried to listen to it, but it was very good, its about a Tiger that doesn't like being caged. And Human, dancer? It doesn't make sense, "Are we Human or are we Dancer?" They always confused me with their lyrics but they always bring a smile to my face, and they never get old.

Day and Age is no doubt the best Killers album. The Killers classics: Mr.brightside, All These Things I've Done, Somebody Told Me, When You Were Young, Read My Mind, and Romeo Tranquilize, are now being joined by Human, Spaceman, and A Dustland Fairytale, in my opinion. It's sound is pop and rock mixed and the Killers have added a lot more bass making the songs have a different mood. If I bought all the songs on Itunes i would still go out and buy the album just to look at the cover and the pictures inside. It is an amazing album, Indie/Alternative lovers should go out and buy this godly album.

Symmetry4321
    The Killer's died when they release Sam's Town, i don't care that it was more guitar focused it was just plain awful, Sawdust was not amazing and this one (i've heard about 4 of the tracks) is not impressive
    doive
    the killers have produced some very good music, this album doesn't showcase their best stuff though. a couple of stand out tracks (dustland)but mostly sounds worringly like 90's euro-pop... i was fairly underwhelmed.
    slaps76
    Baby Joel
    Felkara wrote: before. Live, all they do is stand there and Flowers paces back and forth a little on stage.
    Possibly because they're musicians, and not performers? They write music, they don't show off and jump around and scream. Day and Age is one of my favorite albums. It has a lot of great lyrics, good music. A good album. Good re
    slaps76 wrote: "Human" may be one of the worst songs I've ever heard. I have no clue why it's on the radio so much..I have the first Killers album and like it..but that techno-pop crap song...who really likes that song?
    So you like Hot Fuss but not techno? Hot Fuss is the most techno-synth album the Killers have made.
    Baby Joel
    That-Funny-Guy
    MAIDEN_FREAK wrote: The killers are GAY!!, why do people listen to this shit? an some people call this rock ha my farts sound better than this crap!
    you. die . the killers are one of the greatest bands...ever. they are nothing like coldplay (who are also amazing but not as much as the killers.) everything they have released (including sawdust) has been pure gold genius.
    sum1udunno
    I've only listened to Human so far and it's probably one of their weakest songs ever. Any song off their first two albums is better than Human.
    linds4lif
    Kebabmashine wrote: it's "are we human or are we dancer", brandon said that in an interview and it totally makes sense! it is inspired by a quote of hunter s. thompson. he said, that america is recruiting a army of dancers. but not dancers who dance on a dancefloor. it is a metaphora for a mindless puppet, that just takes orders... and by the way, this album is awesome! like sonnydalheim said you have to listen to the songs a while before you can like them... just be a little bit open-minded for a new kind of music...
    so true, give time and be open minded, bravo!
    funkymaton
    You are insane! you completely underrate this album. If you actually read the lyrics of 'Human' you will be amazed by what Brandon Flowers has come up with. Same with Spaceman, I can't work out if we're talking about the same song, because I absolutely love it, and find it a close call between that and Human as my favourite. I've never been a killers fan before, but I heard this album, then listened to it 7 times in 2 days, I don't even usually like this style, but it caught me, and now I'm addicted. Genius.
    AXE187
    belavista man wrote: Nightrain7 wrote: U gove this a better rating than chinese democracy??.. lol... I hate Axl Rose. I'll always give most bands a better rating than an album that has been happening on and off for ten years.
    then you prove your reviews are completely worthless because you dont review the album for what it is. Basically you would have given it a shit review if it was the greatest album ever made. You are worthless.
    Irishpenguin
    wow so much for the reviews. it started interesting, then it turned into a bickering fest about one word in a whole album.