Day & Age review by The Killers

• Released: Nov 24, 2008
The Killers: Day & Age

The Killers "Day & Age" album, for me, took a very different approach to their previous albums firstly for the fact that the lead guitar seems to be hidden well away in the shadows and is overcast by the bass guitar and drums, which allows the album to be considered one of a more modern age. Brandon Flower' vocals are exceptionally brilliant as always and the album is yet another amazing masterpiece from the four piece indie rock band. The instruments blend well together throughout every track and create a modern but yet still very classic sound.

Flowers' songwriting skills are effortless once again, with songs such as "Human" and "Spaceman" showing off his magnificent storytelling method which he is renowned for. Songs such as "Joy Ride" create a sound that will never go out of style and bring the old sixties style instruments back to create a new, very funky sound. The lyrics and music gel very well together as do all of The Killers' songs, they use their instruments wisely to set the meanings and messages alight and lift them off their feet.

Overall, "Day & Age" is a fantastic compilation from The Killers once again. It has shown that they can take risks within their genre but they do this well especially by sticking to the same techniques, usually with the synths and overpowering bass guitars in tracks such as "The World We Live In" (my personal favourite track) this album is definitely worth a listen and does not need to be compared to their previous records due to the fact it is so different and unique.

However, I feel that tracks such as "This Is Your Life" and "I Can't Stay" are too much alike to exist on the same album, so if I was to criticise one thing, I would have demanded a little bit of a turning point track. Having said that, The Killers are masters of music and they continue to show it within every record that they release. I would recommend this album to anyone who is a fan of indie rock because it checks every box that is desired to succeed in this field.