Hot Fuss review by The Killers

• Released: Jun 7, 2004
The Killers: Hot Fuss

Where as Hot Fuss had sven good songs and a bunch of fillers, the limited edition delivers with some of the best music on the album. Brandon Flowers' vocals are powerful, especially on songs like All These Things That I've Done, Andy Your a Star, and Mr. Brightside (still the best song on the album, and the best song of 2005). The guitars sound almost otherworldly, like in Under The Gun and Mr. Brightside, and the bass, well, it is absolutely amazing (more on that below). Brandon Flowers' is an amazing synth player, and Vannucci sounds like a drum machine.

Brandon Flowers is a great singer, and I only cringed on a section of The Ballad of Michael Valentine where he does a falsetto. The lyrics are great on most of the album, and though a lot of people don't like Everything Will Be All Right, this song is one of the lyrically best on the album. However, lackluster lyrics on On Top, Change Your Mind, Believe Me Natalie and yes, Glamourous Indie Rock & Roll do create some rusty spots on the otherwise beautiful album.

In my opinion, The Killers are much better than The Bravery and Interpol combined, especially with Brandon Flowers on vocals. Jenny Was A Freind Of Mine has great synth, lyrics, and that amazing bass. Mr. Brightside is a punk psychodrama with a great bass line and cool guitar and drum part. 2nd best vocals on album. Smile Like You Mean It is just a fun song, with some great harmonies and an addictive synth melody. Gaurenteed to be stuck in your head untill next year. Somebody Told Me has some more great bass and thats about it. All These Things That I've Done is a fun song, full of hope. The Choir that comes in always makes me wasnt to sing along at the top of my lungs. Poignant lyrics. Andy Your A Star has the best vocals on the album, for a song about a stalker. The Choir comes back and adds to the sadness of the song. Everything Will Be All Right has great lyrics. The Ballad Of Michael Valentine is fun, and despite the falsetto in the chorus, has great vocals. Under The Gun is just a fun, depressing song. The lyrics are nice and the guitar is addictive. I love just about everything on this album, and the only things I hate are above somewhere. If it were lost, I would cry, and if it were stolen, I'd find the bugger who done it and beat him up. I would buy it again if there was no hope of getting it any other way, however.