Hot Fuss review by The Killers

• Released: Jun 7, 2004
The Killers: Hot Fuss

The sound of The Killers is very refreshing. It mixes modern rock to '80s-style synth that will get anyone hooked on listening. The beats and sounds are very unique from one another that's why you wouldn't get tired of listening to the songs over and over. Even if you've heard each track like, 50 times. Their style is different (and I mean that in a good way) that's why I really liked this album. Plus, Brandon Flower's voice is just perfect for the exceptional sound of the band.

The lyrics in this CD, in my opinion, are very heartfelt. I don't mean heartfelt as in it'll make you cry and the songs will inspire you to lead a new life but when you listen to the lyrics, you more or less get to know what the composer (aka Brandon Flowers) is going through. For example, the song "Mr. Brightside" tells of a jealous mind and the lyrics (I just can't look/It's killing me) perfectly convey it. The song "Andy, You're A Star tells in all honesty how Brandon admired a high school classmate. Of course they wouldn't be called "The Killers" if murder wasn't involved (actually their name doesn't have anything to do with actually killing someone. They just thought the name was cool). The songs "Jenny was..." and "Midnight Show" perfectly captures a jealous murder. Ok, don't get me wrong. Not all of their songs are gloomy and dark. There are also some songs which are very upbeat and well uhmmdanceable (I guess). The song "Somebody Told Me," one of their most famous songs, has a very catchy tune and laughable lyrics (Somebody told me/You had a boyfriend/Who looked like a girlfriend). Another song "On Top" is about, well, basically being on top. The lyrics to the song are very feel-good and will make you smile. Overall, the lyrics are good and trust me, you will sing to everyone or their songs in no time.

The Killer's debut album is nothing like I've ever heard before. These days all you hear are the basic guitar, bass, drums trio but the synth effect of the band gives its sound a boost from all the others. The variation between the tracks means that you'll never get tired of hearing the whole CD. The sound and the lyrics are very distinct and it will keep you hooked on the band itself. Truly The Killers are not like any other rock band so the CD is well worth the money you spend on it. As I said, The Killers show a lot of variety and that is what I think a person needs.

crazymonkey616
    The Killers is probably my favorite modern rock band right now. Who really cares about fall out boy and that. This music is pleasing to the ear.I'm not putting FOB down It's just not what I listen too.I listen mostly to classic rock, but The Killers, Audioslave and Velvet Revolver are turning the music industry back to music and less to money.
    WhiteStripesIII
    The Killers are a really good band. I bought their album after seeing them on the telly (OXYGEN FESTIVAL). The best song on the album is On Top... but for some reason on-one else thinks it's the best. I only dislike a few songs (Andy, Your A Star, Everything Will Be Alright and Glamourous Indie Rock and Roll (UK version)). A the singles are good, but I dont think the gospel choir in All These Things That Ive Done is required. WHITE STRIPES RULE!!!