Hot Fuss review by The Killers

• Released: Jun 7, 2004
The Killers: Hot Fuss

Well I find this quite an electronic album meaning with keyboards and things, although it comes up as alternative if you import it into your itunes. It starts off upbeat with the song 'Jenny was a friend of mine' with somewhat perculair sounds right at the start. Just from this first song you can tell why I said this is an electronic album. Then it's a nice 'high-fretted' begining. It's a sortov like a destiny song from the sound but the lyrics are probably something completely different. The song still keeps the upbeat tempo as from the last song. 'Smile Like You Mean It' has some great peices of drumming. He sounds like some devil telling children what to do (in the video he turns to a boy and a girl). Some nice chord combinations and the only three note tune that keeps going on throughout the song makes the song all the more spooky. 'Somebody Told Me' is a bit like your mom saying: "A little bird told me." Bit of a weird clowny song lol. 'All These Things I've Done' is in two parts, the intro is slow. And 'One More Sun' is such a good line. Then starts and sounds like your in a western. The bass goes well with it. Quite a joyful song and so they played this at Live 8, and out of all their great hits they happen to chose that song. I think many would agree it's not their best. 'Andy, You're A Star' is probably the worst track on the album, gets a little annoying, "heysahrar, heysharar". Sorry to all those Andys out there but this song fails to impress me. Theirs no need for the choir really. Now then, 'On Top'. Some people say it's the best track on the album but some don't agree. Lyrics are well written. It sounds kool, almost as if they all went away and made up a little part of a song and then the band came together and put the parts togeher aswell and created this. And by the way I've tabbed this, the intro (feel free to rate it). 'Glamorous Indie Rock And Roll' is a heartworming song that has some kool strokes of the guitar. Vocals are tremendous, and the bass fits in. And surprisingly it is a glamorous indie rock and roll song. Sounds as if he's telling the whole world with those lyrics. One of the best songs. The last three songs arn't really attached much with all the other songs. 'Believe Me Natalie' is an okay song but lacks a good chorus. Pacey 'Midnight Show' is fast and straight at you. And finally 'Everything Will Be Alright' somehow sounds christmasy with the kind of bell sounds. A distinctive voice for the chorus.

The lyrics are quite powerful and meaning alot. It's always interesting to look up lyrics but the Killers lyrics are fairly unique. There's not much repeating of phrases in choruses ans some artists or bands tend to do. The span of vocabulary is good. The lyrics, even though I said they were unique remind me of The Stroke's words used aswell. A percific song being: 'The End Has No End'. Some songs of The Killers are rock and some are slow pop which is nice to have a different variety of things put into one. And the changes in songs are so good. The whole band sounds good together. The lyrics don't stand out more than any of the instruments' tunes. Lyrics of them remind me of Keane like being on the basis of very meaningful words put together in a song. The choice of song names stand out alot. You can compare tem to a few bands with differences and simularities with their lyrics with other bands but really, there arn't really many other lyrics like it.

The Killers is prity much an obvious name for a gang name and maybe also for a band name it's not as well chosen-a name as say Arctic Monkeys. The most impressive songs are Mr. Brightside, Smile like you mean it, All these things I've done and last but not least: On top. I love the differences between the songs, also in them. Drumming I have to say is just brilliant. There arn't any solos I don't think really, it's good to see what they could pull ou the hat if they did pull a solo off in one or two of their songs. The keyboard and computerized sounds are so kool. I don't really like how straight at you the lyrics are and you get a bit tired of the man's voice (Brandon Flowers) sometimes if you listen to the album a couple of times in a day. The sure do have talent (unlike some) and have created a spectacular album, Kaiser Cheifs' album came out at around the same time but they couldn't grow up to selling music like this. A must buy, again, even if it was stolen I'd get it cheap off HMV.

WhereArtEsteban
    Notoriousdoc wrote: Everything Will Be Alright is so underappreciated
    I agree, it's my favorite song on this album.