Sam's Town review by The Killers

• Released: Oct 3, 2006
The Killers: Sam's Town

When I first played the album I knew instantly that The Killers sound has changed since the '80s pop synthesisers to a more sophisticated sounding style with more instruments than effects. This style really works well for the band and even on the CD cover they have changed their look to Cowboy's with moustaches instead of the indie pop/rock with Brandon Flower wearing eye liner. The guitar playing is amazing in the album and there are some really good riffs and great songs including; Sam's Town, When You Were Young, Bling, Read My Mind and Uncle Jonny.

The lyrics are very well constructed and seem to be very well produced, maybe over produced even but they are all down to Earth and Brandon Flower's voice sounds very good. The lyrics fit the music style perfectly and Brandon Flower uses a wider range of vocals in this album than hot fuss and he is still good.

The Killers has to be one of the best indie rock bands out there at the moment, this has to be one of the best albums I've heard. Better than hot fuss? Definitely. All the songs sound good apart from the bonus track which was a bit iffy. There are about 5 or 6 songs that could be released as excellent singles and 3 or 4 that could be released as good singles. I am glad that the killers have grown up from the almost '80s pop style to the new Indie rock sound, I really did like Hot Fuss I thought that it was amazing but I think that Sam's town is better. I've already made a spare copy of the disc and put it on my iPod in case I lose the original CD.

sherwin
    Daniel Pearce
    sherwin wrote: the album needs time to grow on you. that's the only thing. else, it's a fab record.
    I agree mate.
    xbonez182
    Not keen, hasn't grown on me so far. Just nothing besides when you were young that hooks me :-(
    Nexu
    Some songs are a bit forced and the lyrics just flop (Why do i keep counting, This River Is Wild) But i recommend Uncle Jonny and Bones for the atmosphere and possibly throw Bling in despite the title. It does have to grow on you. Anyone like Exitlude? I love that.
    Alibi:Destroyed
    I haven't heard anything but when you were young from this cd and I wasn't very impressed. I liked the old Killers much better. This seems like they were trying to hard.
    Learn_to_fly
    Bones = amazing song. I love it!!! I havn't got this album yet, but if 'When You Were Young' and 'Bones' are anything to go by, it's gonna be freaking brilliant!
    JS5150
    I really wasn't a fan of "when You Were Young" until about the 5th time i heard it, the greatness of it just hit me. So i guess the previous comments on how it has to grow on you are correct.
    leviathanroqs
    I really love this album, and i think that is not better than hot fuss but just different, i mean it has different sound but at the same time the is sound that let you know that you are listening to the killers and that's what's all about. By the way i wish that exitlude lasted more, what a great song!!
    foxeyvolume
    im not trying to sound like an ***** or anything, but all of these band are just taking what bands like joy division/new order did and making it more poppy, and thats nothing to be proud of nor is it a reason to praise them also on a side not: i would just like to say that indie is NOT a genre, it is the type of label you are on and dont bother changing the meaning, the genre is called brit-pop (and yes i know the killers are from vegas, but they are still making brit-pop) when you call bands like hot hot heat or the arctic monkeys indie as the genre you sound like an ignorant deouche lol