Sam's Town review by The Killers

• Released: Oct 3, 2006
The Killers: Sam's Town

I really like the sound here. Right off the bat you can tell that they have changed their sound from their previous album, Hot Fuss. They kind of sound like a mixture of Springsteen and Tom Petty, and this is a good thing because it suits them really well. This is a whole new side of the Killers that we haven't seen before, and it is less poppy than the first album, except the song Bones, and I prefer this sound to their old one.

The lyrics of most of the song are very good lyrics. They tell a story andhave meaning, unlike a lot of the songs out there today. Also Brandon Flowers singing skills have really improved since their last album. Hot Fuss was for the most part monotonal, while in this album he uses his voice a lot more. This is a change for the better and a step in the right direction for the band.

I really do like this album, although I would have to say that the songs had to grow on me. The first time I listened to them I thought they weren't all too great. Then I heard the songs a second time and just fell in love with them. My favorites would have to be "Sam's Town", "Enterlude/When You Were Young", "For Reasons Unknown", "Bones","This River Is Wild", "Why Do I Keep Counting?", and "Exitlude", which, as you can see, is the majority of the songs. I really like theuse of the keyboard in these songs more than in their previous ones, especially in "For Reasons Unknown". If I lost this cd, I would definitely buy it again. Also I would recommend getting it at Best Buy because it comes with two extra tracks when youbuy it there, and it's only about $10.

greendayperson
    Briteless wrote: Bored_Azian_92 wrote: does everybody on this website like the killers?? i havent seen any1 flame the killers yet No offence guys, really don't like them. I don't dig the fact that all of these recycled sounds are being praised as original.
    Thats great. Thanks for the opinion.... THE KILLERS ROCK!!
    Battery Chicken
    Honestly I have only played through it twice and nothing has really stood out and grabbed my attention. I loved hot fuss pretty well much straight away but I'm just not digging this new direction...yet. I'll give it a few more run throughs and hopefully it'll grow on me.
    greendayperson
    honestly, i dont kno, but i like them =]
    wangmaster
    sams town is better than hot fuss IMO. when you were young pwns fallout boys ass into the ground.
    WhereArtEsteban
    has to be one of the best albums of year. this years been a good year for like all rock music with a few exceptions. everyone says it has to grow on you,but i loved it all the first time i heard it i used to not care for the killers but now im interested to go back to hot fuss (i didnt buy it)to see how well it holds up to this awsome cd.
    Benny989
    at first i thought it was bad...but after listneing to it a couple times i loved it. I LOVE For Reasons Unknown, Read My Mind, Bones, When You Were Young, and Sam's Town
    Briteless
    foxeyvolume : im not trying to sound like an ***** or anything, but all of these band are just taking what bands like joy division/new order did and making it more poppy, and thats nothing to be proud of nor is it a reason to praise them also on a side not: i would just like to say that indie is NOT a genre, it is the type of label you are on and dont bother changing the meaning, the genre is called brit-pop (and yes i know the killers are from vegas, but they are still making brit-pop) when you call bands like hot hot heat or the arctic monkeys indie as the genre you sound like an ignorant deouche lol word.
    Briteless