Sam's Town review by The Killers

• Released: Oct 3, 2006
The Killers: Sam's Town

Most bands who have an excellent debut album struggle when it comes to making a second one, Razorlight managed, Kasabian managed and now so have the killers with the synth indie-rock soundings of Sam's Town. When I first listened to this it made me think; the killers themselves have had a makeover and now so has their music. Gone are the days of a smooth-faced Brandon Flowers whining in a high-pitched voice. Now he's a moustachioed, deep-voiced singer who occasionallly whines. There are still essecnes of Hot Fuss' high synthesised parts, but they sound great combined with guitar and bass.

The lyrics in this song have a more truthful feel to them than "Mr Brightside" or "Somebody told me". The song: Uncle Johnny was written by Brandon about his uncle (No prizes if you guess his name), and is started with a guitar riff changing pitches for roughly 30 seconds then Mr Flowers singing;"When everybody else refrained, my Uncle Johnny did cocaine". This made me laugh to myself when I first heard it for the sheer randomness, but then it goes on to be a pleasure-inducing song. The albums lyrics have a story-like structure and have obviously been pleased the band with their outcomes.

Compared to Hot Fuss, Sam's Town is it's older more experienced brother with songs that sound different to each other and have stories behind them. My favourite song would have to be the opener Sam's Town for it's brilliant song structure starting with a drum roll, then some synth, guitar+bass then Brandon starting with "Nobody ever had a dream round here but I don't really mind that it's starting to get to me/Nobody ever pulled the seams round here but I don't really mind that it's starting to get to me". The only downside with Sam's town is 'Bones', their soon-to-be new single which is really a marmite song; you either love it or you hate it. If Sam's town was stolen from me first I'd obviously try to find out who did it, if I found them I'd knock the crap out of them and if they got rid of the album I would happily buy it again.

Jonnybin123
    Dumpweed_182 wrote: KILLERS SUCK AND I HOPE THEY DIE
    Get the hell out of here and go cut yourself to some +44, will 'ya? Anyway, ignoring my hostility, this is a great album, definatly better than Hot Fuss (I loved that album too). I'm not gonna lie, I love every song on the album, save Bones and Read My Mind. Yes, that's right, Read My Mind and Bones are not my favorites. They just seem overhyped to me and I've heard them too many times already. Every song (especially songs like Bling and When You Were Young) are layered with sweet orchestral awesomeness. All in all, CD gets about a 9 from me.
    moodyg
    I think Sam's Town is a solid effort from the Killers. This record is a slow burner and requires a true listen to get the full appreciation of it, but overall, I think this is one of the best records to be put out this year.