Sam's Town review by The Killers

• Released: Oct 3, 2006
The Killers: Sam's Town

I have to say, I wasn't really expecting this album to be that good when I had bought it. But I enjoyed the first two singles (When You Were Young and Bones) enough to want it. I have to say this is the first album I had bought in a while that I could listen to from start to finish and not dislike any songs. Each song is very distinctly unique and memorable on their own. I really like how they vary each song and have a bunch of different moods set throughout the album. There are many catchy hooks that are made so well that the album can be universally enjoyed. Anyone from a heavy-metal fan to a pop-culture fanatic can find at least one song on the album they like.

The lyrics have definately gotten more meaningful since Hot Fuss. They went from singing about lesbian affairs (Somebody Told Me) to dreams of love from a child coming true (When You Were Young). Even a small peek at the titles of some of the songs makes someone want to hear the song to know what it's about (Bones, This River Is Wild, Why Do I Keep Counting, etc.) Brandon Flowers probably won't win the best singer of the century award anytime soon but the music from the band accompanies his voice perfectly. Some of the songs have lyrics so catchy, you can't help but just randomly start singing them in the shower like For Reasons Unknown (But my heart, it don't beat, it don't beat the way it used to. And my eyes, they don't see you no more) or Bones (Don't you wanna come with me? Don't you wanna feel my bones on your bones?)

Overall I loved this album. I was definately a fan of the Killers' earlier work but this album definately shows growth from that. And although it's very different from Hot Fuss, that doesn't take away from it's similarity in greatness. As I said earlier, this is one of the best albums I've gotten in a while. There wasn't a single song that I can complain about saying I really don't like. My personal favourites would have to be Sam's Town, When You Were Young, For Reasons Unknown, Bones, and Why Do I Keep Counting?. The only negative aspects I can see about this album is once you take away the Enterlude and Exitlude which don't really count as songs, you're left with only 10 songs. And although they're all great, it leaves the mind to wonder what else could have been on there.

7thriff
    Kinda thought sam's town was crap. then i heard 'when you were young'. this is such an awesome track! it almost redeems a crappy album.
    Cheezy
    Jesus why is everybody here so narrow minded? I'm not trying to preach or anything but I LOVE in equal measures- The Killers System of a down Ladytron MUSE and Panic! at the disco ALL VERY DIFFERENT FROM EACHOTHER Now ok you may not like these bands but it just seems like a lot of people aren't open minded enough to fully appreciate music nowadays. Take for instance 'Triviumfan54's' comment. Metal is good. But grow up and don't just come on and accuse eveybody here of liking shit. Are we not adult enough to criticise constructively?
    0likid
    finally! someone acknowledges that "Read my mind" is actually a really good song! thank you!
    dropthelight
    I'm a massive Killers fan. I love them. But wherever the quote "Every time it tries to get real, it only winds up sounding fake", and when you compare Sam's Town to Hot Fuss. I couldn't put it any better if I tried for years. Still thoroughly enjoy listening to Sam's Town though.