Sam's Town review by The Killers

• Released: Oct 3, 2006
The Killers: Sam's Town

Picking up this album and listening it to the first time, I expected a bit out of it. I was very very pleased with Hot Fuss, and couldn't wait to pop in Sam's Town the second I got it. I wasn't disappointed, I enjoyed the whole album, song by song.The first song, Sam's Town set the tone very nicely with some nice prog-influenced sound, mixed with nice rock tone. After that, When You Were Young follows and really pleased my ears, even though I'd only listened to the non-album version that came out before the album. Each track is just as pleasing as the last, which you don't get out of an album much. Some of the songs reminded me of Oasis's sound, but just not as good. It seemed like they were trying too hard to sound like them in a couple songs, such as Bones. Some of the guitar is a bit repetitive, as found in Uncle Jonny which basically plays the same guitar riff and drum beat throughout the entire song. However, the band still keeps it's uniqueness intact. The Killers didn't really change their sound much, just added some more keyboard and electronic tone to accompany their sweet instrumental sound. The band is also starting to incorporate guitar solos into their music notably with "Read My Mind".

Lyrically speaking, the album doesn't have really deep lyrics, but they all go along with the song and at least the singer. Brandon Flowers nails lyrical flow with song perfectly, and the instruments are wonderfully fused with his flow. To sum it up lyrically, while not being deep show the vocals have much groove to the band's basic patterns.

The Killers have been deemed a punk band, which I believe is complete BS. None of their songs sound anything like punk. They are easily alternative based. I really enjoy Flowers' voice in this one, over the couple of years span between Hot Fuss and Sam's Town, it seems as though his voice just got better. The same could be said for Keuning's guitar talent, and Ron Vannucci's drum beats. I enjoyed this album, and I see it as an improvement over Hot Fuss, which even I couldn't believe. I find When You Were Young, My List, and Read My Mind to be the most ear-pleasing songs on this album. What I love is the great feeling I get listening to Keunings silky-smooth guitar leading up to the chorus sang by Flowers' great voice. Nearly everything sounds great on this album. The only problem I have is the occasional repetitiveness of the guitar riffs. Also the vocals get dragged out during some points, which is really annoying. It sometimes sounds like the vocalist is trying to hard to get a good sound out of his voice, but really it can sound crappy, which sums up Flowers voice: it can either sound beautiful, or dragged out and a bit annoying. These problems are overshadowed by the other awesome aspects that this album shows however. This was a great album for me to listen to. I listen to at least 2 tracks off of it everyday when I put my iPod. I recommend it to any alt-heavy person, or those just looking to find a great band to listen to and call one of their favorites. There's a reason these guys are on the mainstream side: They're that good.

jonnybassman
    foxeyvolume you are the ignorant one. triviumfan54 i feel sorry for you, are you tryin to say indie is more repetitive than metal? because musically a band like the killers is way more innovative than trivium. btw i think this album is amazing and takes a place in my top 10 favourite albums of all time. Bling been my favouite snog.