Sam's Town review by The Killers

• Released: Oct 3, 2006
The Killers: Sam's Town

On Sam's Town, The Killers previous techno-peranoia sound has matured into something special; a full fleged, heart racing, grandoise passion. We see The Killers demonstrating a concept, the album evokes Springsteen-like themes of down-on-their-luck folks iching for a break. Musically, the synths and guitars are bigger and slicker. Brandon Flowers & co. create a sometimes heart-pounding, sometimes though provoking, new sound that can be traced vaguelly back to the synth-crazy days of the late '70s and early '80s.

Although most reviews claim that Sam's Town can't hold it's own against Hot Fuss due to limp lyrics, I feel that here we see Brandon Flowers at his best. His range has become stronger, and his lyrics have gone from semi-unhappy London punk to confident young man, looking for true happiness and reflecting on his life. The words of Sam's Town tell the gritty, Americana tales of people who desire some sort of satisfaction, with themselves, with their life. And this is clear to me in Brandon's lyrics. Hell of a job.

For me, Sam's Town is exactly what The Killers said it would be; the best album in 20 years. Every song is near perfect, instrumentally, lyrically, and conceptually. Songs like 'This River Is Wild,' 'Sam's Town,' and 'Read My Mind,' make this album really something special, and I can think of few albums that offer up more than Sam's Town emotionally or on an entertainment level. Hands down the best album of 2006.

pwninator123
    wangmaster wrote: sams town is better than hot fuss IMO. when you were young pwns fallout boys ass into the ground.
    what was the point of saying that? honestly, you're just inciting hate