Sawdust review by The Killers

• Released: Nov 13, 2007
The Killers: Sawdust

From their indulging synthesizers, to their catchy acoustic riffs, to their classic power chord buffets, Sawdust is truly one of the greatest mish-mashes of B-side rarities I've ever heard. If you are so fortunate to fall into that small category of indie lovers, get ready for the ride of your musical life. The sound is incredibly captivating, you'll listen to every song and love it. Though most of the songs have already been on previous albums and singles, the presentation of this album is really something. Even though I've only listened to Sawdust a handful of times so far, I'd say this sound is truly unique and special. This is indie rock at it's best.

If you are a fan of The Killers, you'll know they don't always come out and say what they mean. They speak in riddles and metaphors. I for one love it. Brandon Flowers is an incredibly talented and odd singer. His voice is captivating, he's not your generic singer, you really want to listen to the lyrics and not just his voice. Though Brandon doesn't always for the high notes, it was never really The Killers style anyways. Brandon's voice and the sound of Sawdust go hand-in-hand, I couldn't imagine any other voice to carry the music of The Killers.

Sawdust being a compilation of other albums, with only 4 completely new songs, is tough to compare to the other albums. But the overall presentation of the album is magnificant. I've heard most of the songs before, yet they seem new through Sawdust. With more synthesizers than Sam's Town, The Killers have seemed to dig back to their roots, but with more experience. One of my favourite songs has to be Tranquilize, which is also the single released a month before the album. Listening to this song longer than the others, I feel more attached to it's strange and compelling lyrics and sound. Another song I really like is the new version of Sam's Town, which is composed almost only of a beautiful grand piano and Brandon Flowers. I love this entire album and you should too. I am appauled that these are considered "B-sides" since some of them are their best work. If this album was lost or stolen, I would definately go buy a new copy. This is The Killers at their greatest, please do yourself the favor of listening to this album.

emoleafsfan
    i have hot fuss, and have only heard the singles from sam's town. is sam's town and this better than hot fuss? because i never found that one amazing, but its still an alright cd.
    TheAngryMob875
    I think that there are a few songs on Hot Fuss, (Jenny, Brightside, Somebody told me, All these things, Smile, On Top, Midnight show) that were compeltely off the charts. however, andy youre a star and everything is alright were kind of fillers. Natalie was a good song, but not the first killers song i would go to on my Ipod. However, on Sam's town, there were no filelrs. All through the cd the songs are incredible. However, the style is different, more old fashioned rock, and sometimes u can miss the keyboards of jenny and great riffs of Mr. Brightside. I believe they are equal. both are 10 out of 10. I love Sawdust. It's a great b-side and rarities album. You cant expect it to be as great as the other records, but it is. And i find it hilarious it was 12th on the charts, when it was just songs they scrapped together as b-sides. Michael Valentine, Under the gun, tranquilize, white boys. all great.
    gothkitty20
    I think it is a great cd...fantastic, solid songwriting and incredible vocals by brandon..almost as good as their regular releases! love the lou reed song as well...Brandon reminds me of bono on the Joshua Tree CD
    auron599
    This Cd's amazing and obviously a band who keeps pulling further from the mainstream in order to make better music despite constant media bashing isn't "doing it for the money" These tracks are amazing and it would be a real loss for fans to miss out on any of them, so stop bitching, if you don't like the killers get off their board, if you do, buy the cd. And yes I'm a fanboy so suck it
    jv_music
    already bought it hahaha. i like it, but it's not as good as hot fuss and sawdust. it just doesn't get me singing and moving like those two albums, but it's still pretty good.
    Ledcraft
    don't get sam's town jv_music man, it's so bad compared to hot fuss.... haven't heard sawdust yet, I'll have to pick it up...
    Roland_Casey
    I doubt when I heard they will release a b-sides compilation. Not only because they just got 2 albums, but 2 albums got different styles. but when i put the disc to cd player, it blew me away!!.. they did a new recordings for many songs, not just put it together. trust me for good music or save money to buy other crap.
    slann101
    That-Funny-Guy wrote: killers ****in rock i have their entire catalouge and listen to it as often as possible sawdust pwns
    tbh dude, theyve only released 2 albums. hardly a hardship to get the whole cataloge is it???
    That-Funny-Guy
    jv_music
    Cool stuff! I'm happy I preordered it and got it the day it came out. Hot-Fuss was Synth-Rock and Sawdust is more like the good old Rock & Roll. I haven't heard much of Sam's Town yet. Gotta get that. But no doubt Sawdust is my favorite. Their cover of Shadowplay sounds so funky when semi headbanging to.
    djostreet
    I'd say Sam's Town and Sawdust are definetly the best. I picked it up right away and it is great.
    derekwm2001
    I never thought Hot Fuss stood up as an album in its entireity. You had a hand full of good songs, but all of them weren't that great. Yes, Sam's Town and Sawdust are definitely, in my opinion, better than Hot Fuss.
    Fatally Jon
    The remix of "Mr. Brightside" not only makes the song listenable, but makes it incredible. Overall, this is a magnificent collection.
    TaV0
    Well, Just got the album today and I believe it's really good, some of those b-sides are already well known, some other tracks are new to me. But still a very enjoyable album, specially if you're a fan of this amazing band, like me
    CLaSH88
    That was unnecessary. You don't have to put down someone's way of life to be funny. Otherwise, I like the CD after first listen.[/quote] Lol mate all humour is unnecessary, but with out it we'd all just be avergage joe smiths (see if anyone gets the reference)
    Greg Man
    FordingtonField wrote: Shadowplay completes the Glastonbury video and the version of Sam's Town is a treat. Ruby just shows that the boy can sing along with Romeo and Juliet. If you don't like The Killers, you'll hate it. If you like them, get a listen and decide which tracks you like. If you adore everything they do then this just fills those nicks and crannies to give a total view of the boys. It's got me ready for the Live DVD (come on it's about time) and the new collection of 12 numbers.
    Right on, I'm glad there are others who like it.
    sad.rock.444
    Are you sure you don't mean moron?
    FordingtonField
    Amroth
    If they have two cd's out.. Then why the hell release a compilation? This smells of greed like little else.
    CLaSH88
    stumaster18 wrote: Pointless release. just a way to make more money. I have both of their CDs, but I definitely won't pick this one up.
    So true
    TheCoffinRobber
    I'll be running to Wal-Mart to pick it up later... not being an avid collector of B-sides and rarities, I've only heard "White Boys" and "Pretty Faces" so far from this album, and am quite looking forward to what Brandon Flowers can bring.
    stumaster18
    AerialOverdrive
    All of there melodies seem so natural. I've always been a fan. Good to see they're keeping up with the hype :