Sawdust review by The Killers

• Released: Nov 13, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
The Killers: Sawdust

It will not come as a surprise to fans of the band that Sawdust is a mix of synth rock, guitar riffs and catchy vocal tunes. This album's sound provides no surprises or changes to the last two albums but then again with CDs selling millions of copys why change your sound? The only difference which I can see is that this album is (and this really is the only way to describe it) more boring than the last, the tunes are not quite as catchy and you can't really dance to it.

Brandon Flowers' vocals are as competent as ever but unfortunatly his songwriting is not, many of the songs are cover versions so obviously I cannot comment on their lyrics but I must say that the cover versions' lyrics are much more impressive than the self written songs which do not have the excelence of the past two albums. Overall the lyrics are not very impressive.

Well if you were wanting another Hot Fuss you will be sorley disapointed, this album is, as the astute among you have noticed, a collection of b-sides. However from any other band these songs would be acceptable as album tracks if not singles in their own rights. Despite the fact that the songs in this album are perfectly acceptable, from the killers they seem a bit of an anticlimax as many fans were expecting the CD to rival it's predecesors. If you liked the past albums by the killers and are thinking of buying this one don't bother get something new and exciting instead. I suggest the klaxons.

benjidude945
    ok ok Hot Fuss has no filler tracks to speak of yes even everything will be alright, which is a great song Sam's Town was good but had one awful song, Uncle Johnny (worst killers song ever!) But this has some fantastic tracks with only minor filler. Tranquilize blows me away!!! Shadowplay is a neat cover but Leave the Bourbon on the Shelf is truly what everyone needs from this one. It is one of their best songs, better than almost all of Sam's Town. No joke.
    Dan"leftiebass"
    Sawdust to me is showing the beginnings of Killers, like "leave the bourbon on the shelf" (in daves apartment- look at the insert of the album) reminds me of practice with my mates starting with a stupid idea and turning it into something original and great. And you can't forget the ending of the "Mr Brightside" remix; ...'he's a captain' (you'll know if you've got the album) -a simple short riff like the interlude on Sam's Town. Sawdust can only be appreciated if you want to know the full story of the Killers, and what i think, the true style of the Killers
    Dan"leftiebass"
    Sawdust to me is showing the beginnings of Killers, the B-sides like "leave the bourbon on the shelf" (in daves apartment- look at the insert of the album) reminds me of practice with my mates starting with a stupid idea and turning it into something original and great. And you can't forget the ending of the "Mr Brightside" remix; ...'he's a captain' (you'll know if you've got the album) -a simple short riff like the interlude on Sam's Town. Sawdust can only be appreciated if you want to know the full story of the Killers.