Singles Collection review by The Kinks

• Released: Jun 15, 2004
The Kinks: Singles Collection

With 25 tracks, all of a superb quality, this album is no ordinary "Best Of." I bought it as an introduction to The Kinks and now they are one of my favourite bands. The albums sound can't really be defined as it ranges so widely. From one of the first heavy metal songs, "You Really Got Me" to the melodic and beautiful "Sunny Afternoon," the sound of this album covers every aspect of the Kinks and will leave you inspired.

To be frank, the best thing about the Kinks is singer/songwriter Ray Davies' way with words. Dealing with issues as far ranging as horrendous poverty ("Dead End Street") and transvestitism ("Lola"), this album contains lyrics to suit any and every taste. In one songs Davies can be heard singing the lyric, "what are we living for," whereas, in another he sings the line "One week he's in polka-dots, the next he's in stripes." In the lyrical world, The Kinks are kings.

Listening through this album, there are at least four tracks which anyone with any interest in music will instantly recognize. Unlike an ordinary compilation album, this CD simply contains all of the Kinks' singles in chronological order. It successfully shows the development of the one and only Kinks. To be a Kinks fan without this album is unthinkable.

mad fer it
    'The Kinks are kings,' that is the best quote ever. Spot on with this review, well done.
    JimPrenier_11
    I love that qoute "The kinks are kings." I can't find a kinks album anywere it really pisses me off.
    caldyfrusciante
    go to itunes! I strongly recommend the village green preservation society album as an accompanyment to this.
    thfc
    From the few Kinks albums I've heard I think the best is 'Arthur' by far. Every single song on that album is great in its own way, and it is definitely in my top 10 albums of all time. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to check out the Kinks
    kiwitabber
    Village Green must be one of the best albums of the 20th century. It's ridiculously good. Arthur is awesome too especially Brainwashed, Shangri-la and Drivin.