Age Of The Understatement review by The Last Shadow Puppets

• Released: Apr 15, 2008
The Last Shadow Puppets: Age Of The Understatement

I'm going to begin by saying this is a strange record. It sounds almost vintage, but has some elements that bands such as say, muse would not be afraid to implement. The Last Shadow Puppets are a duo if you will, consisting of Alex Turner of Arctic Monkeys fame and Miles Kane of the Rascals (commonly known as 'that other guy') Long story short the two got along after touring together and so they decided to create an album together, and to put it simple they combine acoustic pop, a few electric leads and an over the top Orchestra to make some simple pop songs with a big feel.

The lyrics are would you would expect. Most deal with being young in england and girls, and basically every song deals with relationships. Sadly the lyrics are not as memorable as Arctic Monkeys material (I believe they are one of the best modern bands lyric wise.) but they get the job done and you may find a few lines you like and/or relate to. The real treat however, and the main appeal of the album is how well both singer's voices mold together. songs such as 'Seperate and ever deadly', 'Standing next to you' and the title track really show this and it's quite original and good to hear.

I can't really say what it sounds like. As mentioned before the main appeal is the singing and Orchestra work (which is amazing) and it sounds much different that say Arctic Monkeys. If you combined the Beatles, The Who and Muse you may get something like The Last Shadow Puppets. Overall it's an enjoyable listen but won't be something you race home to listen to every day. The Songs are far too short and if some more time was put into each song and tracklist we may of ended up with something far more memorable and exciting. Don't let that put you off though, because if it sounds up your alley, by all means check it out!

murph13
    i agree the lyrics are not as good as Alex Turner has written in Arctic Monkeys. Having said that, I still think they stand out above the majority of lyricists still around today. I think the review of the sound is pretty on the dot though, i might have even gone as far as giving it 10. Age of the Understatement sounds epic enough to be a James Bond theme tune. I'd say the best description would be a combination of The Walker Brothers, Muse and London Symphony Orchestra.
    jason white
    my sister brought me this for christmas and i gotta say i love these guys i think its the blend of the two vocals that are the best bit but theres just something about them they've really got that x-factor its fantastic i hope they come to australia soon does anyone know if theres plans for a follow up?
    Ironpriest
    Age of the Understatement sounds epic enough to be a James Bond theme tune.
    very true that! cheers for the comments. I think they were planning on a follow up soon, but the arctic monkeys have to release their 3rd album first and then tour it. so maybe it'll be out the end of 2009/very early 2010?
    Trifonas
    An amazing record! It's fresh, alive and it has many great musical (and lyrical - 'My Mistakes Were Made For You', 'The Chamber') moments. Their voice melodies are perfect and the harmonies are amazing. However I think it has nothing really new to offer (nothing experimental, pioneering it's just well-build pop). Definately in my top 20 list!