Everything You've Come To Expect review by The Last Shadow Puppets

• Released: Apr 1, 2016
The Last Shadow Puppets: Everything You've Come To Expect

With their debut album, Alex Turner and Miles Kane went with a similar album structure to that of Turner's band Arctic Monkeys first album "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not." They were similar in the sense that it's meant to be played as a whole, almost 1 long song with some nice pop tunes mixed in. With this album they've refined their sound, and honed in on creating an album which explores that sound in every which direction. Kane's vocals are as beautiful as ever, hitting notes in "Aviation" left and right as well as doing a killer job on "Patterns." Alex really channels his inner Sinatra, while belting out tunes like "Sweet Dreams, TN" which explores his vocal range like never before. The entire structure of the song is really exciting.

The main difference musically is the relaxed, natural rhythm applied to every song on the album. Alex has a really good ear for melodies, and applying key changes to his songs which allows for a lot of creativity within each song.

YouTube preview picture

The lyrics at first seem very random, but you realize that it's meant to be abstract. Alex has written lyrics for the Arctic Monkeys which were very descriptive, symbolic, or vague and hes simply experimenting with a more abstract style of writing. There are a few songs which tell a story, but again; use abstract imagery to simply suit the melody or rhythm of the song. The three singles, "Everything You've Come to Expect," "Bad Habits," "Aviation" are great examples of this. There are many times where the lyrics are simply painting an image in your head, that matches up beautifully with the melody and suits the tone so that it works beautifully. "Dream Synopsis," "Aviation," "The Bourne Identity" are the best lyrically in my opinion.

This is by far the most well crafted romanticized album which Alex Turner has ever been apart of. The album itself has a highly seductive feel with the lyrics and rhythm on certain tracks. And if you've seen the videos for the 3 singles than you can tell there's influences. Great album, worth checking out if you like some good tunes.

Favourite tracks: "Dream Synopsis," "Used to Be My Girl," "Miracle Aligner," "The Element of Surprise," "Pattern." Also "The Bourne Identity" is an amazing song, but it's on the deluxe version. "He's kind of my enemy," such a great way of describing someone.

epichvs
    "I feel like the sequel you want to see, but you were kinda hoping they would never make." I love this album!