Breaking The Silence review by The Letter Black

• Released: Sep 22, 2009
The Letter Black: Breaking The Silence

The beginning EP from The Letter Black is quite impressive compared to the beginnings of most artists these days. Naming the album Breaking the Silence after their previous band name, The Letter Black presents a six-song album that the basically "tough" guitars and screaming (in "Away From Me") give a feel of hard rock.

Not only does The Letter Black have good sound, but their lyrics are just as amazing. In "Perfect," guitarist (and husband) Mark Anthony paints a beautiful picture of the love he and Sarah Anthony have. Going a little deeper with "Moving On" and "Collapse," lead singer Sarah Anthony relates stories from her past of alcohol and cutting addictions, and her life as a child. The lyrics flow along with the guitars and cymbal crashing, as Sarah Anthony uses the full power of her strong voice in "Away From Me."

The Letter Black could be compared to the alternative rock/metal band, Flyleaf, with the same style of guitar and vocals somewhat similar in sound. The songs that I enjoyed most, personally, were the head-banging "Away From Me" and the unique story-telling "Collapse." I love that the lyrics aren't "sugar coated" and that this band isn't afraid to be real. I do think the guitars are somewhat original, though, and could possibly be slightly more creative. I would buy this album over again, if lost or stolen, and buy it for anyone else who wanted. In general, though somewhat rough around the edges, Breaking the Silence proves to be a very good beginning for The Letter Black.