The Libertines review by The Libertines

• Released: Aug 30, 2004
The Libertines: The Libertines

The Libertines have a truly refreshing, manic sound. From Doherty's oft slurred vocals to Barats wildly effective guitar lines, The Libertines are surely the amongst the best English bands to emerge from the country in recent years. This album was recorded at a time when Docherty was very unstable and was spiralling into heroin abuse. I would be overjoyed to see the original Libertines back together, but I suppose it is all in Pete Dohertys hands. Astonishing album.

Docherty sings on a number of different issues. The primary topic, however is the relationship between him and Carl Barat, lead guitarist. From the popular single "Can't Stand Me Now" to the regretful track "What Became Of The Likely Lads," Pete uses his voice as a strong tool to convey his message. The shouting of "Arbeit Macht Frei" is a clear case in point. Come back Peter! The electric guitar is used masterfully as a sonic tool and jams fantastically with the lyrics/singing.

Other albums I liked last year were Up All Night by Razorlight and Franz Ferdinand. This is easily better than ff in my opinion, and is def. up there with Razorlight. The most impressive song? You know what? The only song I dislike on this album is Narcissist. If it were stolen or lost, I would buy it again, as well as their first album.