The Libertines Review

The Libertines: The Libertines
Released: Aug 30, 2004
Genre: Indie Rock, Garage Rock Revival
Label: Rough Trade
A merely good record. If The Libertines truly want a place in rock history, they'll have to prove they have the discipline to channel their undeniable inspiration.
 9.8
 9.5
The Libertines Reviewed by: BohemianWally, on september 30, 2005

Sound: More commercial than "Up The Bracket" with more catchy songs (Can't Stand Me Now, Likely Lads etc). There is a dirty disorganised sound to the music but the soft vocals of both Doherety and Barat sooth over the messy, sharp guitar riffs. There is an obvious energy and fun to the music but also a passion and further depth. The recording of this album is done in a way that makes it sound quite unlike the perfect studio albums and it is perfectly believable that this album was recorded in a very short space of time. This disorganised, almost imitating the intamcy of a live set, sound I have noticed has been copied by the plethora of British bands with success. Although no other band can pull off the manic unique playing style of The Libertines. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics to this album are amazing! It can be read as poetry if you ever by some reason bore of the music (that will never happen though). The album tells the story of the breakdown in the relationship between Doherty and Barat. Once the closest of soul mates whose musical talent and creativity flourished with the company of the other, now drugs (as well documented by British tabloids) are taking over Pete's life and breaking the heart of Barat. As I write this review "Music When The Lights Go Out" is playing on my computer. This is the most beautiful of songs and the lyrics describe the former joys of the band but (pete) "I no longer hear the music" is only hanging on because of the good memories, he is blind to what the present has for him in the band. "What Became Of The Likely Lads" well the name says it all. The fact that Doherty could notice the breakdown and difficulties and describe the exact emotions with such clarity while still in the band shows his genious, but if he had such genious why didn't he stay clean and not get kicked out of the band! // 10

Overall Impression: It can be compared to their first album in it's messy pure rock and roll sense but differs in it's cohesian as an album and it is much easier listening. At times I can see parts of "The Jam" in the Libertines but I don't think I can make any other comparrisons as this is such a fresh and unique band. If anyone claims to like rock/indie then they should listen to and appreciate what The Libertines has to offer. Their music is such fun to play and they are one of the only bands (along with Pete Doherty's new band "Babyshambles") that can offer lyrics that have substance and meaning of any consequence. What I hate about this album is that it is the last album that The Libertines will ever release, but with so many memorable songs, my favourite being "What Katie Did," this album will long be remembered. I can already see it on the influences list of the great bands of the future. A definative part of Rock culture. // 10

The Libertines Reviewed by: jak c, on march 11, 2005

Sound: The Libertines have a truly refreshing, manic sound. From Doherty's oft slurred vocals to Barats wildly effective guitar lines, The Libertines are surely the amongst the best English bands to emerge from the country in recent years. This album was recorded at a time when Docherty was very unstable and was spiralling into heroin abuse. I would be overjoyed to see the original Libertines back together, but I suppose it is all in Pete Dohertys hands. Astonishing album. // 10

Lyrics: Docherty sings on a number of different issues. The primary topic, however is the relationship between him and Carl Barat, lead guitarist. From the popular single "Can't Stand Me Now" to the regretful track "What Became Of The Likely Lads," Pete uses his voice as a strong tool to convey his message. The shouting of "Arbeit Macht Frei" is a clear case in point. Come back Peter! The electric guitar is used masterfully as a sonic tool and jams fantastically with the lyrics/singing. // 10

Overall Impression: Other albums I liked last year were Up All Night by Razorlight and Franz Ferdinand. This is easily better than ff in my opinion, and is def. up there with Razorlight. The most impressive song? You know what? The only song I dislike on this album is Narcissist. If it were stolen or lost, I would buy it again, as well as their first album. // 10

Comments