Up The Bracket review by The Libertines

• Released: Oct 14, 2002
The Libertines: Up The Bracket

This is definately one of my favourite albums of all time. Every song on the album is incredible. The bands sound is pretty unique, but is British rock/indie basically. I think the band is from London, and both Barat and Doherty have great voices. I would say Barat and Doherty are an incredible song writing partnership. If I would compare them to anyone, it would be a cross between the Strokes and Razorlight, although I rate them higher than both bands.

Lyrics are fantastic, and fit perfectly with the guitar melodies. There is a great mix of slow and energetic songs. Both singers have great sounding voices. Lyrics are pretty heartfelt and often about the relationship between teh two frontmen which was pretty up and down, as I think Doherty robbed Barats flat once to pay for his drug addiction.

I was lucky enough to catch these guys at Reading. Unfortunately, despite the rumours, there was no reunion between Doherty and the band. However, Barat recruited one of the members of one of his old bands to sing with him and they blew me away. They put on a mindblowing show, with songs from both albums. Highlight on this album is definately Up the Bracket, which is a fantastic song. Cannot compare the album to any others, apart from possible their second album, which is also fantastic. One of the reasons I love this album is that it is their debut, before they became big. Only thing I dislike is that Dont look back into the sun is on neither album, which is a fantastic song, check it out. Thought I lost this album last week and was in mourning. Would definately buy it again though.