Roll On Review

The Living End: Roll On
Release Date: Mar 27, 2001
Label: Warner Bros.
Genres: Punk Revival, Alternative Pop/Rock
The Living End grow up, but continue to rampage on with their rowdy punkabilly on Roll On.
 9.9
 9.7
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
Roll On Reviewed by: ryan100, on april 11, 2006

Sound: How can I describe this album in a few paragraphs well two simple words can describe this album kick ass! The Living End have hit it big time. This was the first of their albums I had bought, and I had just bought it recently. I had heard their State Of Emergancy stuff and the song Who's Gonna Save Us?, but I was worried I had made the wrong choice. Fortunatly, I hadn't. The album kicks off with the classic song, Roll On. I was shaken by the loud and raw, "1, 2, 3, 4" at the beginning, but Cheney's great guitar playing relaxed me a little. After three to four minutes of explosive stuff, the album rounds to Pictures In The Mirror. Although I believe this is their least best song on the album, it beats almost anything. Roll On continues with more explosive songs such as Riot On Broadway and Carry Me Home, and it last receded to Blood On Your Hands. A classic mix of hard drumming, sharp guitar and sweet as bass. After that, another three songs follow before it reachs the final song of the album. Not to fear, because the final song, Uncle Harry, will make you laugh, jump up and down and throw things. With the beginning of a bunch of bogans laughing and jeering, until the unexpected, "Whooa!" to kick off the song. The story of an uncle pissing in a bathtub is quite amusing and energizing. Another three minutes later, all the fun is finished, for now. After listening to Roll On, I guarantee you that you will be begging for some more Living End. // 9

Lyrics: Chris Cheney's lyrics on Roll On could not be better. I don't know how he does it. He can solo and sing at the same time, and may I remind you the solos and unbelievably hard. He can write long and complicated lyrics and sing them like hes known them all his life. He is a legend. // 10

Overall Impression: Theres no denying it. Great lyrics, great sound and most of all, 14 of the best songs I have ever listened to in my life. After listening to this, I have decided to go to the concert for $50. Yep, thats right. One listen of this and you'll wish you bought a ticket. I guarantee it. // 10

Roll On Reviewed by: les_paul_01, on april 17, 2006

Sound: Roll On is the 2nd Album from The Living End, in my opinion the best Australian band there is. While their debut The Living End was more on the punkabilly side of things, Roll On is pub rock at its pure best. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics fit perfectly in with the music. Chris Cheney is a highly talented songwriter, and it shows in this album. From the explosive opener "Roll On" to the final track "Uncle Harry," an ode to an uncle who pisses in the bath, the lyrics of this album are absolutely fantastic. I found myself singing along in no time. // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion, this is one of the greatest albums ever.it didnt go as well commercially as the living end's other material, but that shows just how much great music there is below the supposed standards of mtv. the best songs from the album are "Roll On," "Riot On Broadway," "Dirty Man" and "Silent Victory." If I lost this album, I would have to buy it again as it actually my brothers, and if he finds out I lost it he would kill me. This album rules! // 10

Comments