State Of Emergency Review

The Living End: State Of Emergency
Release Date: Feb. 16, 2006
Label: EMI/Capitol
Genres: Rock
State of Emergency is about the journey, not the destination, because the only destination it has in mind is back to track one.
 8.9
 8.9
 8.8
State Of Emergency Reviewed by: IC300_Toxicity, on february 13, 2006

Sound: Since the last LE album, 'Modern Artillery' the boys have put out a greatest hits collection and have done a series of gigs around Australia promoting State Of Emergency. They keep aussie punk rock alive as this album hits the audience in the face with thier energy and awesome guitar solos. Every single song sounds different from the last and its truly amazing to hear such variety. theres no limit to the singles they could release of this album, and i'm looking forward to the b-sides. // 10

Lyrics: The lryics are up to TLE's standards and continue to impress with tracks like the addictive 'Wake Up'. It's simple yet harrowing lyric "suicidal education, got sold to our generation" sung by the likes of 6 year old kids makes you wanna go out and hit the politians for being such dicks. Chris Cheney has focused on the guitar work of his other LE albums and this time the vocals were the main focus. With bassist Scott providing harmony and this time drummer Andy, joining in on the vocals it's truly a awesome listening experience and fit in with the guitar double bass and kit perfectly. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is jsut great. It is personally my favourite TLE album and I am going to buy ti again jsut for the free hour and a half dvd that comes with it here in aus. Every single song makes you wanna mosh your arse off, with more focused moshing on songs like "Whats On Your Radio?" and "Reborn." I have seen them twice in the last 6 months and they dont dissapoint live either. Overall this album just rules and is the best way to kick of a new year. Well done Living End. // 10

State Of Emergency Reviewed by: tanguyen, on april 21, 2006

Sound: Having only been interested in the band for an odd two or so years, some might say that I would be a "n00b" fan. However, the love of the band turned into an obsession which led to my thirst for Living End knowledge, I'll have to say my judgement and comments would be quite valid. The Living End went to hibernate for a good year and a half prior to the release and tour of the greatest hits album "From Here On In." Wanting to capture a live feel to the sound, they played "Splendour in the Grass" up in Byron Bay and literally went into the recording studio the day after the gig. When they went after a "live" sound, they definitely did achieve it. The beginning of the first track, "In The End," has the band doing an almost "soundcheck," setting the vibe of the album. Cheney's guitar was raw sounging as usual and showed remnants of their AC/DC influence. The drums sounded a bit "synthetic" but what impressed me most was Andy's maturing as a drummer. I also dug Scott's double bass' groove. This being The Living End's 5th official studio album release, their sound is quite different to the almost "juvenile" sound they possessed during their Self Titled days. Cheney's almost virtuosity of the guitar showed on the record. This time, not for fast rockabily licks or head spinning solo's, rather his ingenuity as a composer and song writer. Obvious Queen influences were shown in In The End and Reborn where guitar harmonies was used, with a Cheney twist. What I did miss WAS the brain frenzy solo (think Prisoner Of Society, End Of The World). // 8

Lyrics: In my own opinion, sometimes the lyrics featured in The Living End songs are a bit inconsistent. While some songs feature classic pub lyrics, other songs do fall short with repetitive lyrics. Maybe that isn't my sort of thing. To add to the blemishes, the vocals of Chris Cheney might be a bit raspy a times. Even though being an Australian, I can tell that international audienced might be turned off by the "ocker" influenced accent. This time around, the lyrics are definitely stronger. Some weakpoints can be pinpointed (Order Of The Day) but the lyrics are heightened and almost saved by Chris' guitar. You lose some you win some. Also, State of Emergency feature your usual pub anthems (Long Live the Weekend) and a song that fits today's society contextually (Wake Up). The band states that The London Bombings was the catalyst to this song, which sends out messages of "manipulation" of the society with the ongoing affairs. Long Live the Weekend has its hand raised as an anthem like song, rejoicing the weekend (hence the name) and the gloom of work. Another impressive thing about State of Emergency is Cheney's vocals. Producer Nick Launay mentioned that Cheney wanted this record to be a one which displays his vocals in a better way. I have to say, the vocals on this album is better than any of the vocals on all the other albums. Props to Cheney again. // 8

Overall Impression: Being a band who has enough credentials to be called a modern rock 'n' roll band (I use this term carefully), yet an eagerness to have pop driven melodies, The Living End has received moderate success. Well short of what they deserve. State Of Emergency debuted at a deserving number one, only to be knocked off by mainstream rock records and an Australian Idol Punk rock poser loser (Lee Harding). Both singles (What's On Your Radio, Wake Up) have both debuted in the top 10 in the ARIAS, only to see them plummet exponentially. The next single and my favourite track, Long Live The Weekend, is probably one of the stronger songs on the album in my record. Going back to near teenybopper state, the ending of the song melts me with giddiness. Till The End, Wake Up and Nowhere Town are also songs worth mention. The Living End has pulled up another album of strong calibre and did not dissapoint their fans. It is a well crafted album which also screams out "maturity." A point worth talking about is the free DVD that it came with. Lovers of the band will go head over heels to see them talk about the album and its creation. Titled, "How to make an album and influence people," it showed the making of the album. This adds value to the album I reckon. Being a bit tight with money, if it were lost, I would think twice before purchasing it. Also, living in the modern age, where CD's are burnt and duplicated anyway, thinking twice isn't a bad idea afterall. But considering I love the album to bits, I will say that it is a valuable CD in my CD collection and worth it for the DVD. To cut a long review short, bloody awesome album for a great, credible Aussie band and you should all give it a listen. // 9

State Of Emergency Reviewed by: Lutman, on june 05, 2006

Sound: It was 12 years ago in 1994 when The Living End first emerged in the Australian rock music scene. Their debut self titled album reached number one on the charts, and is still the highest-selling debut rock album in Australian music history. Now The Living End has released their 4th studio album, entitled 'State of Emergency.' The band is most well known for their mind-blowing live performances. Singer/guitarist Chris Cheney wanted to incorporate The Living End's awesome live sound into this record after his disappointment with the 'over-producing' of his last album, 'Modern Artillery.' The live sound that made the famed the band wasn't incorporated into the album as much as Cheney would have like it to, but this hasn't taken away from them producing another utterly awesome, hit spewing album! As I put the recently purchased disk in my CD player I'm in humble excitement as the first note plays at the start of track 1, 'Tll The End.' It already sounds like a killer live song. A very self explanatory song about basically, not giving up. With no time for a breather, 'Long Live The Weekend' kicks in right away. A catchier, more fun song that also sounds very live oriented. By now I've realized the songs production sounds a lot like the Til the End. I'm not a big fan of the sound of the guitar, but the sound is still fine. The first slower paced song on the album, 'No Way Out,' seems like a fairly experimental song, drawing some influence from the Beatles in the use of some of the vocals and the sound of the verses. Chris's voice sounds great on this song, his vocal ability continue to increase. This is expressed on the chorus. You'd usually follow a slower song with another slow song, but not in this case. 'We Want More' rapidly comes in and punches you in the face when it gets there. Another fast, catchy song that would for sure make a great, popular single is playing on my CD player. I'm tempted not to get out of my chair and start dancing to this song. Ok, the song most people have probably heard, the fantastic 'Wake Up.' A political song about the state of the nation, Wake up is an innovative song with a chorus that sounds shivers down my spine every time! The guitar, the lyrics, the drums, it all fits in perfectly with this song, and will most likely be stuck in my head even when I finish writing this review. I think this band likes following slow songs with super fast ones, cause the next track, 'What's on Your Radio? ' comes in at lightning speed. This is a song about the state of the radio and how the songs being played are 'fashionable,' people listen to it because it's popular. It's obvious that this was the first single released from the album, It's just so good. Chris's solo is amazing on this song. 'Nothing Last's Forever' is a very pop sounding song about a tale of love gone wrong. Much calmer than the other songs, it lets you lie back and just simply listen to what's being played. It's songs like this we don't hear much of from The Living End. and the saying is true, different is good. Again, a slower song is followed by a fast song. The slower song, 'One Step Behind, ' featuring a horns section from 'Hunters And Collectors', is followed by the trademark quick and breathtaking style Living End song, 'Reborn.' The next songs, 'Order of the Day' and 'Nowhere Town' are both high-quality, catchy songs, although I prefer Nowhere Town because of some of the effects used in Order of the Day. Effects put on vocals annoy me a little bit, they also take away from the live sound we know and love about Living End. To finish the album, we have 3 fast, energetic, awesome songs. 'State Of Emergency' is Chris's guitar 'show-off' song, with the great solos and complexness. The music to 'Black Cat' is written by bassist Scott Owen. He spends hours in a studio, playing bass guitar trying to figure out a good bass line for a song. He came up with the bass line used in this song, which is very simple. It just show's that good things take time, and good things are often based around simplicity. The final track, 'Into The Red' is just a straight out, simple rock song with a very live, raw sound to it. // 9

Lyrics: Chris's lyrics get better and better, but still aren't necissarily 'superb' lyrics. They're just simple lyrics that go very well with the songs. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this album is fantastic. It's almost like a blend of the albums made prior to this one, with some completely new things added in too. The album outdoes anything The Living End has done before. It's obvious why they are proud of it. // 10

Comments