The Living End review by The Living End

• Released: Oct 12, 1998
The Living End: The Living End

The bands self titled LP Debut is one of the biggest selling debut albums in Autralia's history, and after listening to it, it is easy to see why. The band was signed after they were discovered by Green Day, and their ispiration is heard throughout TLE's debut preformance. When listening to the album, there are many different styles of music that can be heard, mostly post punk crossed with rockabilly, although it is easy to detect ska and country roots. A bit of incredible guitar work, mixed with well polished vocals, precise drumming and catchy bass hooks, this album has something for everyone. From punk sounds in "Prisoner Of Society" to the skay Sounds of "Trapped" to the jozz roots in "Strange", there is a little bit of everything, hidden in the album.

When listening to the Vocals, It gets tough to listen to Chris Cheney's Voice after a while. Even though he is a very talented vocalist, he comes off as a tad bit whiny. Dispite the sound of his voice, it goes great with the music, and his lyrics are creative, prooven by "Prisoner Of Society" and "Second Solution". His Lyrical talen truly stands out in the song "Monday" where he sings of a school shooting which took place on a monday.

Overall, The Living End introduce us to a unique style of music that isn't quite psychobilly, but isn't quite Punk. It is hard to compair them to other bands, seeing as they are the only band of their style, but put up beside their other albums, this one stands out. With incredible songs like "Prisoner of Society", "second Solution", "Growing up (Falling Down)", "Monday", "West End Riot", "Save The Day" along with many others, it is bound to stand out. In my opinion, The Guitar on this Album is some of the best I have heard and the bas and drums are outstanding. The only thing not to like about this album are the tone of the vocals, but other than that, The CD is solid. If it were stolen, I would cry, then go buy another copy. Or as an alternative, I would steal this CD before any of the other living end Albums.

chiliwillifreak
    Pedalist
    I like this band. I especially like 'Prisoner of Society'. Good review.
    Pedalist
    I like this band. I like all their songs especially 'Prisoner of Society'. Good review.
    thrash-it-up
    chiliwillifreak wrote: Agreed. nice interview. I'm surprised this is the only one so far. Classic LE album and arguably the peak of their career to the die-hard fans. Chris Cheney is the best guitarist to come out of Australia IMO.
    agreed with the guitarist bit there, i saw them a while ago and he blew my mind, especially when they played e-boogie
    Chaduah
    Chris is a brilliant guitarist. Really underrated and unknown for his talent. Kinda curious why they haven't made a big break in the states or Europe.. yet. They goto release White Noise here (USA) ASAP!!
    Ironpriest
    nirvanaisbetter
    Ironpriest wrote: When listening to the Vocals, It gets tough to listen to Chris Cheney's Voice after a while Stupidest thing I've heard, his got one of the most original "pop punk" voices ever. I said Hi to him once it was awesome lol.
    i didnt say it was unoriginal, he has a great voice, but after a while, it seems kind of whiny. I am enviosu of you! i wish i could say hi to chris.
    Ironpriest
    Haha yeah he is definitley my favourite guitarist and was probably the main reason I picked up the guitar.