Can't Stop Won't Stop review by The Maine

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Jul 8, 2008
  • Sound: 6
  • Lyrics: 5
  • Overall Impression: 7
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
  • Users' score: 8.6 (16 votes)
The Maine: Can't Stop Won't Stop
0

Sound — 6
In a modern music world where many bands in the pop-punk genre are accused of sounding too similar, very few bands stand out and really make a name for themselves, to obtain an identity, and not be 'just one of those bands'. The Maine, an very, very young Arizona quintet, are lucky to be early enough in their career that this goal is still fathomable. However, on their debut, Can't Stop, Won't Stop, they demonstrate a bit of the potential needed, but fall short on uninspired, cliche lyrics. The band found some success with the hit single The Way We Talk, released on the EP of the same name, and playing the Vans Warped Tour this year. They also managed some fame in their 'Punk Goes Crunk' cover of I Wanna Love You, by Akon. Musically speaking, The Maine have a straightforward approach, the guitars range from heavily distorted, to acoustic. The bass lines tend to follow the rhythm guitar and never stray off. The drums do their job, keeping the beat, nothing more. But in order to break out of their current scene and become a heavy-hitter of their cluttered genre, they may want to rethink the formula they have adopted so far.

Lyrics — 5
Lyrically, Can't Stop, Won't Stop contains hooks and verses you could find in any given Cute Is What We Aim For. Lyricist/vocalist John O'Callaghan's pen-to-paper results are rarely clever or thought provoking; in fact, you can almost predict the consequent line at times. The subject matter stays static throughout the album ranging from seeing the girl for the first time, to how I feel about the girl, to sex with this girl to the inevitable dealing with why the girl left me, and some party time thrown in for good measure. It's all a sense of deja entendu, in the 'heard before' literal meaning, not in a not-so-obscure reference to Brand New. O'Callaghan's vocals can sometimes resemble those of Kenny Vasoli of The Starting Line/Person L, which isn't a bad thing. His voice is sometimes the saving grace of the album, carrying the dull lyrics in interesting melodies over the rest of the band.

Overall Impression — 7
The Maine are lucky that they are still very young, and not far into their career. They can draw parallels to bands like Boys Like Girls or Cute Is What We Aim For, both lyrically and musically. Their straightforward music and relatable, although uninspired lyrics will appeal to the fans of any of the aforementioned bands, and most likely already do. Overall, nothing new here, just one of those bands. Oddly enough, despite all the faults I found and all the negative comments, this album, in its entirety, remains on my iPod. I firmly believe there are 3 kinds of musical consumers; the superficial listener, who isn't knowledgeable about music, and listens to music purely because they like the way it sounds; the 2nd being musicians that indulge themselves on the amount of work needed to not only write the music and lyrics for an album they listen to, and the 3rd being a combination of the two. I feel I fall into the last category. I like to listen to bands like Brand New because of the lyrical quality and overall sound, and yet. I can listen to The Maine and all their poppy counterparts, simply because the music is catchy and is just easy to listen to. Depending on who you are, The Maine do their genre good justice, but just don't bring anything new to the musical table.

16 comments sorted by best / new / date

    chrisfitz182
    I think the person who wrote this article is a massive tool. I think The Maine are an amazing band who are anything but cliche'. To compare them to a band like Cute Is What We Aim For is ridiculous. Yes, I agree maybe their style of music is overheard/played whatever, etc. But ever since the first time I heard them I haven't been able to stop listening to them. If there's anything a person should do before calling this band cliche or saying they add nothing new, they should really sit down and listen to this album, because in my honest opinion I haven't heard a pop-punk album this good in a while. Apparently the person who did listen to the album and wrote this review had his/hers head inserted in their anus.
    Alexishxc1337
    chrisfitz182 wrote: I think the person who wrote this article is a massive tool. I think The Maine are an amazing band who are anything but cliche'. To compare them to a band like Cute Is What We Aim For is ridiculous. Yes, I agree maybe their style of music is overheard/played whatever, etc. But ever since the first time I heard them I haven't been able to stop listening to them. If there's anything a person should do before calling this band cliche or saying they add nothing new, they should really sit down and listen to this album, because in my honest opinion I haven't heard a pop-punk album this good in a while. Apparently the person who did listen to the album and wrote this review had his/hers head inserted in their anus.
    I did listen to it several times, and still do. My verdict remains the same. A band who writes a hook that goes "Girls do what they want, boys do what they can" will not stand out at all. I understand they probably appeal to you a lot, and I can understand that because I'm not a closed minded idiot, but did you read the "overall impression" part of my review? I said musicially they are bland and unoriginal, but as far as listening goes, they aren't too bad. And frankly, anyone who bashes a review because it refutes their own opinion is the real tool.
    Alexishxc1337
    "Lyrically, Cant Stop, Wont Stop contains hooks and verses you could find in any given Cute Is What We Aim For" The word 'song' is supposed to be at the end of that sentence, sorry.
    ValenceElectron
    The Spoon wrote: "good" and "original" are two different things, sir.
    Agreed. They're a popular band with catchy music, but it's nothing new. They've just taken the 'scene' fad (v-neck/graphic tees, sweatbands, emo haircuts, urban sneakers) and combined it with pop-punk, the latest youth music fad.
    b_flo
    I did monitors for these guys when they opened up for Good Charlotte and Boys Like Girls. They don't have much going into their monitor wedges and sidefills. They still played well live...which means they are a tight band when it comes to playing live. It's a good thing they're still young...over time, they'll get better. I get these other well known acts that can't survive onstage without so many things going through their monitors....and they've been playing for over 10 years now!
    chrisfitz182
    Well maybe next time someone with a wider knowledge of music should write reviews on this website instead of some 17 year old high student whose favorite bands that he lists are some of the most cliche music I've ever heard. Envy On The Coast? Oh, please.
    Alexishxc1337 wrote: chrisfitz182 wrote: I think the person who wrote this article is a massive tool. I think The Maine are an amazing band who are anything but cliche'. To compare them to a band like Cute Is What We Aim For is ridiculous. Yes, I agree maybe their style of music is overheard/played whatever, etc. But ever since the first time I heard them I haven't been able to stop listening to them. If there's anything a person should do before calling this band cliche or saying they add nothing new, they should really sit down and listen to this album, because in my honest opinion I haven't heard a pop-punk album this good in a while. Apparently the person who did listen to the album and wrote this review had his/hers head inserted in their anus. I did listen to it several times, and still do. My verdict remains the same. A band who writes a hook that goes "Girls do what they want, boys do what they can" will not stand out at all. I understand they probably appeal to you a lot, and I can understand that because I'm not a closed minded idiot, but did you read the "overall impression" part of my review? I said musicially they are bland and unoriginal, but as far as listening goes, they aren't too bad. And frankly, anyone who bashes a review because it refutes their own opinion is the real tool.
    Alexishxc1337
    chrisfitz182 wrote: Well maybe next time someone with a wider knowledge of music should write reviews on this website instead of some 17 year old high student whose favorite bands that he lists are some of the most cliche music I've ever heard. Envy On The Coast? Oh, please.
    Hm. Cliche music? Cliche as in overdone, and as in popular? So anyone who listens to a popular band has an awful taste in music huh? What are are your favorite bands? Besides the Maine of course. My age isn't a factor. And I do have a wide knowledge of music. I know what goes into the production of an album, i may not have that experience personally, but I know it. And modern music is littered bands that sound all too similar, and if these guys don't stand out to me but they do to you, then great. Not to mention that using someone elses music taste against them for the sake of 'argument' is extremely juvenile.
    gnarlyneeks101
    although i disagree with some of things mentioned in the review, i respect your opinions and say that this is a good review. i agree that the maine is somewhat like other mainstream bands but that doesnt make them not good seriously though, great review
    Alexishxc1337
    gnarlyneeks101 wrote: although i disagree with some of things mentioned in the review, i respect your opinions and say that this is a good review. i agree that the maine is somewhat like other mainstream bands but that doesnt make them not good seriously though, great review
    thanks. musically they aren't great, but they are catchy and make some infectious hooks, which is just as important as the music itself.
    sg_player
    the maine really are a generic band somewhat. not saying i dont like them. they are ok. and my friend actually predicted the lines in one song. the only orignal sounding pop punk band ive heard is cartel, and their becoming crappy
    mikdoso
    Personally, The Maine are yes very unoriginal, but when you look at today's scene, you see the same bands everywhere. The Bands sound is very catchy and upbeat and i love the lyrics because he uses such simplistic lines and views on girls. I think that your review is great and your opinion is yours and yours alone, but speaking for myself, i really enjoy the record as a whole. In a few years the music scene will have some new popular music genre that everyone will love and hate. Thats just how it goes. But Simplicity works sometimes.
    AVAEmpire2009
    What defines musically great is it that the drummer can fill the whole song? That the bassist can play solos like a guitarist or that the singer can provoke so much thought your head explodes? Examples of these would be muse, nirvana and angels and airwaves muses bassist is amazing and that suits muse's style of music. Tom DeLonges lyrics are amazing dont get me wrong fair enough the Maines arent that inventive but they fit the style as do tom DeLonges. Foo fighters/nirvana Dave Grohl is an amazing musician full stop he is one of the best drummers Ive heard as is the foo fighters drummer and it fits the style of music. its all fine and good saying the Maine are just repetitive unimaginative musicians like any other man about town pop punk band but musically great I dont think has a definition as everyone has a different one, judging by what you said in your review you take musically great as my imaginary line up of Tom DeLonge, Christopher Wolstenholme and Dave Grohl who are all amazing musicians in their own rite. I believe musically great to be how the music its self sounds not if you strip it apart and I believe the Maine sound great together (as they are supposed to) its all fine saying oh the drummer isnt very good on his own and the bassist is bad on his own but you dont see them walking on stage playing the drums for a song then the bass then the guitar then the vocals it wouldnt sound right to begin with never mind how bad the musicians are. as mikdoso said sometimes simplicity works, it worked for the white strips drummer it worked for the air formation singer it worked for the Keane guitarist (oh wait they dont have one) musically great isnt about how the individual band members sound musically great is about how the band sound. Great review dont get me wrong your opinion is a valued one but I dont think they disserved a 6 I would have given them a 8.5 thanks and I would honestly think about what you mean by musically great rather than individually great