Amputechture review by The Mars Volta

• Released: Aug 22, 2006
The Mars Volta: Amputechture

The Mars Volta. Personally my biggest influence when writing music. The Mars Volta are considered a psychedelic, progessive rock band, but I consider them as their own preference, unlike any other. The Mars Volta were formed by Omar Rodriguez-Lopez and Cedric Bixler-Zavala, both from their former band At The Drive-In. Their drummer Jon Theodore left after the recording of Amputechure and was replaced by Blake Flemming, which I think was a mistake on their part. This album "Amputechture" is The Mars Volta's 3rd studio album. Their style changes with ever album. Their songs consist of Complicated, intense guitar riffs and effects, while the drums are just as intense and mind blowing as the guitar. The lyrics appear odd and misplaced, but when you look at the big picture, it's telling a very relatable story. Cedric does an amazing job singing the lyrics, and has a vocal range that can be compared to those such as Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant. Althought their music can be insane, it is reassured by a soft reassuring and soothing keyboard. In their new album Amputechture you can here other percussion such as kongos, and Saxophones are also incorporated into their music on this album and their previous on "Frances The Mute". On this album, their music seems to always be pounding and intense, which could make their music less satisfying, compared to their previous deloused, which had musical breaks to make you want to hear that kick ass sound they had left you with in the beginning which they had never left you disappointed. The song "Tetragrammaton" is a great work of art. However the songs "Day Of The Baphomets" and "Meccamputechture" seem to tag along and not stick out. All 3 of these songs are amazing in different in ways, like the bass in Day of the Baphomets, and the way Meccamputechture shows that their old style of music hasn't died out. "Asilos Magdelena" is an all acoustic song besides the beginning and end. This song sticks out among the rest along with "Viscera Eyes".

This album has no fixed storyline, unlike their previous albums which told a story of 1 persons life. Cedric's lyrics have amazing lines like "Humans As Ornaments" in the Song "Meccamputecture". The Chorus in each song are almost heartstopping the way Cedric screams it at you with the rest of the instruments support his concern.

The album is definately a change of pace for The Mars Volta, a pace which can be viewed on as good or bad by many. Some think that The Mars Volta has taken "2 steps back" since their last 2 albums Deloused in the Comatorium and Frances the Mute and that Deloused was their peak, and have been going down hill since. Others also think that it has been at a steady positive incline since the Mars Volta has been the Mars Volta. I loved the Album Deloused, and I thought Frances The Mute was good, but it was too latin based. Amputecture enlightened me in the fact that they can still make you want to get up dance for however the song lasts, which can get up to 17 minutes. I think the album has it's ups and downs, but nonetheless, The Mars Volta is definately the most creative and unique band out there in the music world today, no questions asked.

Fossilized Love
    Kopperhead91 wrote: its funny cuz they fully support the leaked music stuff. i heard them say it themselves. they said it right after they released Scabdates
    No. They said bootlegging their live shows was cool with them - not actual studio release album leaks.
    GetTheGasoline
    omar has the loudest voice ever in concert. mars volta are still the best band right now. nobody has the genius of songwriting as they do. ok maybe rhapsody or tool
    adslam3
    this cd had been out for at least two weeks in the u.s. the guy doing the review was probably from here (america)
    iliveincoto
    There actually is a theme on which they wrote this album. It isn't a story like the other two, but if you read the lyrics you'll find that a lot of religion is in the songs. They sort of bash on christianity. I see the message of this album as "Do your own thing and don't let the thoughts and beliefs of others sway your decisions." The chorus on Meccamputechture is a perfect example.
    DTFatesWarningX
    This I'd say is the album of the year for me, love the KC influences, they actually are cohesing like a true prog band
    AngryGuitarist
    i know alot of people will start bashing these guys for being themselves... but i do love mars volta, and i am a death metal fan. these guys are unique, and omar is a hell of a good guitar, player, from what i've heard from frances the mute.... i need to check this cd out also!
    sardonicgoat
    this is the first mars volta album i bought and i have to say that it is amazing. hearing tetragrammaton and day of the baphomets instantly put this band in the top ten of my favorite bands of all time(no one, in my opinion, will ever top the Pumpkins or Nirvana). But i just have to say that it is refreshing to finally hear new music that is good and original.
    sardonicgoat
    iliveincoto
    sardonicgoat wrote: by the way this album is not about bashing christianity but about bashing America and bush in particular.
    I don't know but there are quite a few christian references in the album. Look around and you'll find a lot. I would bet there's a lot about Bush as well but I really believe that it's about religion. I don't know though, I didn't write the album.
    Miggy01
    just to correct the top review, john played all the tracks BUT asilos magdalena