De-Loused In The Comatorium review by The Mars Volta

• Released: Jun 24, 2003
The Mars Volta: De-Loused In The Comatorium

The Mars Volta is on a whole different playing field than other bands of this time. They took the preconceived notion of genre and classification, and wiped their asses with it. The sound on this record is phenominal, although it probably intimidates most. This is a true quest, a quest beyond the border of death. The Mars Volta managed to fuse everything into this record, from Rock and Roll, to psychadelia, to Jazz, to latin music. There are many different sounds on this album, yet they all kind of meld into one long track, it all seems to fit together. The guitar on this album, courtesy of Omar, are pretty impressive. It's kinda of an effect filled style of playing, one that helps the melody tell a story. He uses some very unique stylings, even some gypsy stylings.

To comprehend anything about Cedric Bixler, vocalist of Mars Volta, is absolute insanity. The lyrics on this mind-fuck of an album are so hard to comprehend, it's impossible to understand one song without a dictionary or thesaurus on hand. Cedric has a way with words, especially words that nobody knows the meaning of. He enjoys using big words, to keep things open ended, to leave the listener pondering. The lyrics fit w/ this style of music, kinda of an organized chaos, with emphasis on the chaos. Cedric should be deemed a great front man. Besides the undeniable fact that he hits these notes that just shatter glass, an octave above most comfortable male ranges.

This being the first LP by the band, it's kind of hard to compare it to much. Tremulant was good, but this is just on a whole different plateau, if you will. Every single song on this album has a very unique sound. It's very hard to pick a favorite, however I have two. I enjoy Tira me Las Aranas. Its a straight out acoustic, very spanish, even flamenco guitar intro to Drunkship of the Lanterns. Its just a very very good sound. I also enjoy Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt, the last song on the album. I couldn't really tell you why it's so enjoyable, just a very good sound to my ears. I coulnd't begin to tell you how much I truly enjoy this album. It's absolutely phenominal. They managed to amke a truly great album, I'd say one of the best and most innovative albums in probably the last ten years. There is very little I didn't like about this album, and nothing I can think of off the top of my head. I think if I were to have "losted" this album, I would certainly buy a new one. I don't think I would lose it anytime soon however, because it is in constant rotation in my cd player, even 6 months after I bought it.