De-Loused In The Comatorium review by The Mars Volta

• Released: Jun 24, 2003
The Mars Volta: De-Loused In The Comatorium

The sound on this Album can only be described as epic! So many different styles melded together. From the first time I heard the songs I could tell they were latin, being latin myself. I found the bongos and intricated drumming amazing and refreshing from all this MTV BS. Omar Rodriguez(guitarist) is the biggest badass ever. Many of his solos sound like random notes being played, but they really aren't. It all has some type of loosely assembled structure but it's there. All the strange scales and riffs just take you to another world. It's like you are hearing music from another world, even beyond Mars. Though they are not named after the planet. Their sound is cosmic. Like another review says, many people are much intimidated by their sound, but I've found that those who really know music love this album, mainly my bassist and 2nd guitarist, the singers are MTV weenies.

They lyrics are so deep and meaninful, they tell a huge story. The whole album is basically on big story so all the songs flow into one another and the events are linked. He uses much vocabulary and sometimes even some words in old Latin, and Spanish. They make sense to Cedric Bixler (singer), so I'll gladly take them. You can sing your heart out to theese songs and not know what the hell you are talking about, but you feel it so much.

This album is like nothing you have ever heard and probably will ever heard again from any other band. I love that all the instruments come together so well and the band is so close in their sound. The guitar blows my mind. This band is so groundbreaking. I've literally spent hours trying to learn all these songs, and it's paid off BIG for my musicianship. The most impressive songs would be Eriatarka, Take The Veil Cerpin Taxt, Inertiatic, and The Haunt Of Roulette Dares. This CD is priceless and it was only 9.99 at Specs, it's good that it was cheap but it just goes to show you how the best things in life cost less money-wise, and how undervalued the band actually is, with Hilary Duff CDs priced at 17.99. Bunch of suckers.