De-Loused In The Comatorium review by The Mars Volta

• Released: Jun 24, 2003
The Mars Volta: De-Loused In The Comatorium

'De-Loused In The Comatorium' is the debut album from The Mars Volta, the Tool-esque splinter group from legendary hardcore punkers At The Drive-In. One word describes the sound on this album: epic. From the epic beginning to the epic ending, this like a theatre piece all the way. Basically, if you got Pink Floyd to write the music and Shakespeare to pen the words, you'd get this album. Produced by Rick Rubin, the sound quality is excellent. It doesn't hurt your ears if you listen to it for ages, and it is just the write volume. I know nothing's perfect, but this is damn close.

Like At The Drive-In, Cedrick Bixler and Omar Rodriguez have penned some startlingly complicated lyrics. I know its a concept album, but I have yet to work out the concept. The lyrics are very clever, maybe too clever, but they never falter below 5 out of 5. They fit perfectly with the music, which is also complicated and mind boggling. Cedrick is a great singer, really ranks up there with the best. You can't really define his voice - it is unique and you really remember it.

Overall, this album is a masterpiece. The Mars Volta are obviously inspired by Tool and Pink Floyd, yet manage to create something completely original. Swirling guitar solos and latino beats and strings combine to dazzling effect. Red Hot Chili Pepper's John Frusciante and Flea even guest on the album's centre piece, Cicatriz Esp, which is a twelve minute long magnum opus. Don't expect any funk from them though, it is very dark and brooding and you'll only realise it is Flea and John when you read the booklet. I would recommend you some tracks to download, but this is the kind of album you've got to listen to from track one to track ten. It's an incredible feeling when you listen to it, and feels new everytime. If you like Tool and Pink Floyd, or are looking for something a bit different from the mainstream, you can't go wrong with the Mars Volta. But if you don't have patience, I'd avoid buying this album as most of the tracks are about eight minutes long. I love it though.