De-Loused In The Comatorium review by The Mars Volta

• Released: Jun 24, 2003
The Mars Volta: De-Loused In The Comatorium

The Mars Volta's sound, is not for everybody. On that note, if it is for you, it is perfection. It is different than anything you've ever heard. It's like At the drive in mixed with John Frusciante on acid and steroids. Entertaining, awkward, and riveting all at the same time. There is a story attached to this album (just like with Frances the Mute), but I don't want to spoil it. It's a concept album, but the concept is not the best part: the music itself is. By far and away my favorite TMV album, and one of my favorites of any genre from any time. A well deserved 10.

The lyrical styles are very much like At the drive in's, but overall are still more polished and mature. They tell the story about Cerpin Taxt (yes, that's a name of someone apparently) and what happens to him in multiple worlds (again, if you don't care for the story, the music is still great. ) The lyrics fit the music perfectly, and even if you do not want to get into the story they're generic enough so that they can apply to you and aren't preachy. Filled with memorable, catchy (and sometimes disturbing) lines, the album's lyrics fit the vocalist's voice perfectly. The vocalist isn't for everyone, sometimes sounding like a woman screaching painfully, but it's still a soothing voice at times with a wide array of techniques. It's a great sound, it (once again) just isn't for everyone.

This is probably my 4th favorite album out of anything I own; and I own everything from all the Led Zeppelin albums (including Coda) to all the Red Hot Chili Pepper albums to Incubus bootlegs to the Jimi Hendrix albums to Master of Puppets by Metallica. The Mars Volta are their own seperate entity from any other band in music to me; and I love their sound entirely. If it were lost, I'd buy it again - even though I have it ripped on my computer, I'd still buy it again. My favorite song is Rhoulette Dares (the haunt of); the chorus in it gives me chills every single time. The Mars Volta are great musicians telling a great story and combining them to make a perfect album. I tend not to be giving in my reviews (check out the others if you don't believe me), but hot damn this one deserves straight 10s.